Approximately 33 cm.. length, and a weight of 140 g.
The Socorro Parakeet (Psittacara brevipes) is a medium Parrot with the plumage bright dark green, with the crown, the forehead and the lores grass-green, the sides of neck slightly brighter, the head and the neck, sometimes with one or more scattered feathers of orange-red. The upperparts are green grass, slightly brighter in the area of the rump. Upperwing-coverts herb with bluish green in the outside greater coverts. Primary and secondaries Green in the part superior with tint blue in them vane outer; olive Oliva-Amarillo down. Underwing-coverts green. Underparts grass-green. Above, the tail dark green, by down color yellowish olive.
The bill color horn; eye ring pale beige; iris orange yellow or orange; legs yellowish brown.
Gender-related differences are unknown although the immature they have the iris Brown.
- The Socorro Parakeet It is often considered a subspecies of the Green Parakeet. However, Howell and Webb They presented evidence that supports the separation of the species from the other subspecies of Aratinga holochlora. They found that the bill of the Socorro Parakeet is larger than, and noticed differences in the color of the skin of the eye ring, also has a Wing formula different, the tenth primary feather It is shorter than the seventh and Green Parakeet is the reverse. Both species also differ in the vocalization, calls of the Green Parakeet they are richer in harmonics that the of the Socorro Parakeet.
- Sound of the Socorro Parakeet.
Most commonly observed in forests of species such as the Bumelia socorrense, Guettarda insularis, Ilex socorroensis, with trees of at least 8 metres in height. Usually, above 500 m (especially on the South side of Socorro island), because in most of the rest of its distribution area, in the lower elevations, It has lost its vegetation preferred because of the sheep pasture.
Registered at low altitudes, 4 m, where the native forest (in canyons), near the sea level, especially in tall trees of Croton masonii, Conocarpus erecta and Ficus.
Usually, in flocks of up to 40 birds, rarely come to the 100 specimens. Gather in numerous flocks on the branches of the guayabillo, in smaller flocks (until 6) or only in pairs during the breeding season.
Are social, even there is care collective nests, They show strong fidelity to nesting sites, based on observations of re-use of nests.
They nest in tree cavities, especially of the species Bumelia socorrense. The size of the clutch It is unknown, but the breeding It is thought that it can begin in the month of November. The hatchlings are altricial.
They aim to feed in the tips of the trees or the highest branches, Although also has observed them are home on the floor
Endemic, It is only in the Socorro island in the The Revillagigedo Islands archipelago off the West coast of Mexico. Estimated population in 400-500 birds in 1992 (approximately nine birds per km2 of suitable habitat). Considered common, but recent decreasepossible n due to loss of preferred habitat (still present in around the 22% of the island) and the resulting erosion of the sheep that graze in excess. Predation by feral cats can also be a threat.
Threatened in the Mexican official standard NOM- 059-ECOL-2001, but in Danger of extinction in the NOM-O59-SEMARNAT-2006 not yet published. CITES Appendix II
The Socorro Parakeet (and danger of extinction; It is only in the Socorro island and this species the habitat destruction threatens, as well as the introduction of cats, sheep and rodents.
Estimated population in 400-500 birds in 1992.
The species, Unlike the majority of continental Psittacidae, faces problems of extraction of breeding for the pet market.
- Socorro Parakeet, Green Parakeet (Socorro), Socorro Conure (inglÃ©s).
- Conure de Socorro, Perruche de Socorro (francÃ©s).
- Socorrosittich, Socorro-GrÃ¼nsittich (alemÃ¡n).
- Periquito-de-socorro (portuguÃ©s).
- Aratinga de Socorro, Perico de Socorro, Perico mexicano (espaÃ±ol).
- Perico de Socorro (MÃ©xico).
- Orden: Psittaciformes
- Familia: Psittacidae
- Genus: Psittacara
- Nombre cientÃfico: Psittacara brevipes
- Citation: (Lawrence, 1871)
- ProtÃ³nimo: Conurus holochlorus var. brevipes
Socorro Parakeet (Psittacara brevipes)