Mexican hairless dog - Dogs breeds | Pets

Posted by tiadoc | 31 July 2011

Mexican hairless dog

The Mexican hairless dog It is a nearly hairless breed of dog originally from Mexico. It is known by a restricted range in this country and its close relationship with the Hopi culture.

His popularity is not very high, commonly because his lack of fur is not pleasant for some people, but for others and very - especially between- Mexican hairless dog breeders, each copy is very precious and valuable, reaching the range for two thousand dollars the value of a Mexican hairless dog with pedigree, due to its immense historical value, cultural and biological, and its relative scarcity in comparison to other races.

There is another variety with hair. Dogs who are born with hair remain pure Mexican hairless dog, and to cross them with one without hair, They also have hairless pups. In a litter may be born puppies of the two varieties. Brings together it in three sizes: standard, intermediate and thumbnails. The height to the cross is of 46 to 60 cm in the standard; of 25 to 35 the miniature cm; and 36 to 45 cm in the intermediate. The weight is proportional to the size. The two major classifications are as guard dogs, the thumbnail as a companion dog.

The word Mexican hairless dog, it comes from the Hopi = Xolotl e Itzcuintli = dog. The term Xólotl carries several meanings, but all related to the same etymological root. Xolotl itself is the God Hoponés, It was commonly associated with monstrous figures, also meaning the term “Monster”. The Mexican hairless dog is also called American Pelon dog or Aztec dog.

This dog, natural Mexico, is a very ancient race, originating, According to some estimates, for more than three thousand years. In Hopi mythology, It was believed that the Mexican hairless dog accompanied the souls of the deceased when they traveled to the Mictlan, the underworld, which is why they were slaughtered and buried with the dead who should guide. There are legends that speak of Xólotl gave him the Mexican hairless dog as a gift to the man, having manufactured a sliver of the bone of life, the bone that all life was created. Because of this it was considered sacred by the Aztecs, expressing this worship in many sculptural and pictorial representations.

Some pre-Columbian cultures adopted this dog, others preferred to consume their flesh like saucer. After European colonization, came very close to disappear, being rescued from extinction by the appreciation towards this dog of the members of the Federation Canófila Mexicana, which initiated a program for recording and playback the 1 in May of 1956.

Despite the fact that it was exhibited at the canine beauty competitions, in the United States from 1883, and accepted by the most respected associations, did not achieve great popular acceptance. In the middle of the 20th century his popularity in Mexico had a revival, to be admitted in many Mexican dogs federations. At present it is recognized by many of the most distinguished federations in other countries and international federations, as the FCI, Although in some countries, as in the United States, does not have as much acceptance.

They are good company dogs and guardians of the home, Depending on the size. Despite not having an attractive appearance, the Mexican hairless dog, It is popular among some for his intelligence (is easy to educate), its resistance and its friendly nature.

Apparently, those people who appreciate the dog as a faithful companion are those that have given a new wave of popularity today. They tend to be very athletes, good guards and singularly calm with people.

The breed has a weight range of 4 to 20 kg. His lack of fur causes a greater loss of body heat, so your body is forced to maintain a temperature of around one 40 ° C. Its appearance is similar to the Pharaoh Hound, with a slender body, your eyes, the ears are triangular and straight and a long neck. In terms of fur, different copies may have different degrees of growth of hair.

Although the skin is exposed to injury, wounds and fissures heal quickly. In addition, don't have fur care, only on some occasions require a hot shower. Among the advantages of his lack of hair are that they do not cause problems to people with dog hair allergy (on the contrary, It is believed to help allergy problems) and that common on other dog discomfort, such as fleas and ticks, they are removed. However, is also true that a copy of the variety of the Mexican hairless dog with hair is identical to a copy naked except for their fur.

The more valued fur is a coat short and solid colors on a wide range, with white markings on chest and toes. On the other hand, the ears also make a difference, Since the majority of the Mexican hairless dog with hair tend to not stop the ears, Although his naked brothers so yes.

These Mexican hairless dog with hair are modest dogs, namely, view they do not have the spectacular with the Mexican hairless dog “naked”. You could say that are even dogs “current” or mestizos, that they retain a phenotypic structure resembling the pre-Columbian or Mesoamerican dog, emerged from which it is believed the original Mexican hairless dog. The Xoloitzcuintle of lesser stature are also very similar to typical dogs of Aztec cuisine, so-called Itzcuintlis.

Genetically, the Mexican hairless dog without hair are characterized by the lack of hair and some teeth, a phenotype is called canine Ectodermal Dysplasia, and it is inherited as an autosomal semidominante monogénico character.

This means that the feature of lack of hair is determined by an only a non-sex chromosome gene, This gene has partial dominance.

Is due to the partial dominance as the Mexican hairless dog, they have a bit of hair on the head and tail. The Mexican hairless dog without hair are always heterozygotes (HH) -namely, his genotype is composed by a dominant gene (have no hair) and a recessive gene (have hair)- have two recessive genes it turns deadly. The dominant homocigotos (HH) they do not gestate, probably because the affected gene (called FOXI3) It is important in the formation of the ectoderm.

The cross between two Mexican hairless dog with hair (HH) You can only produce a Mexican hairless dog with hair, as a character produced by the expression of a recessive gene. According to the laws of Mendel's genetics, the cross between a Mexican hairless dog with hair and a Mexican hairless dog without hair has a 50% probability of producing Mexican hairless dog without hair and 50% probability of producing Mexican hairless dog with hair (HH, HH, HH, HH), and the cross between two Mexican hairless dog without hair has a 50% probability of producing Mexican hairless dog without hair and 25% probability of producing Mexican hairless dog with hair (HH, HH, HH, HH) the other 25% probability being the dominant homocigotos, that he die before birth.

Is worth mentioning that the only race of hairless dogs as a result of a recessive gene is the Terrier sin by American (American Greenland Terrier).

Mexican hairless dog

2 comments on “Mexican hairless dog
  1. tigra78 says:

    Hello friends of pets. sorry that contradict them but to make an article such as this should be better informed the XOLOITZCUINTI has nothing to do with the hopi culture or with such God you oppose and another thing, I don't know the American hairless terrier but it is false to be the only breed with a recessive gene is precisely for this reason that the XOLO lacks hair and some teeth, because it has a “dominant recessive gene” giving you that feature check please website of the Mexican Canine Federation there is correct about the race information so that they do not confuse people.

  2. Javier corona says:

    you're all right. your data, Pet. lack of information, and only poorly report to those who want to know the xolo. very bad reporter.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

Print Friendly, PDF & Email



Mexican hairless dog in Valladolid, Spain.

  • Xoloitzcuintle
  • Xoloitzcuintle If anyone is interested in acquiring a copy, We can contact the breeders of Valladolid.
  • Xoloitzcuintle If anyone is interested in acquiring a copy, We can contact the breeders of Valladolid.
  • Xoloitzcuintle
  • Xoloitzcuintle
  • Xoloitzcuintle
  • Xoloitzcuintle
  • Xoloitzcuintle
raton

Use of cookies

This web site uses cookies so that you have the best user experience. If you continue browsing you are giving your consent for the acceptance of the aforementioned cookies and the acceptance of our cookies policy, Click the link for more information.plugin cookies

TO ACCEPT
Notice of cookies