Of 40 centimeters length.
The male of the Newton's Parakeet (psittacula exaul) It was probably green, with red patches on wings, also manifested in a variation bluish; only two skins of this species, both blue hue; the plumage It was generally greenish blue with gray shades; chest, abdomen and under cover tail slightly paler shades; head darker gray hue without; thin black line between cere and the eye; black bars cheek and narrow black strip on the neck, strip adjacent the blue-green; primaries blue-green; feathers on top of the tail blue-green, underside grey; mandible red top, mandible lower black; irises yellow; legs grey.
The female with narrow black stripe on the forehead; black bars cheek not extend to the side neck; crown washed with gray; upper mandible black.
Immature; No information
It was a kind forest who lived in areas of pine Pandanus and Palm trees.
Probably similar to Reunion Parakeet (Psittacula eques)
It seems likely that the last birds were destroyed at the end of that year, when the island suffered “the worst hurricane season nineteenth century” (checks 1987).
Survived by two complete specimens, plus several bones subfossil (Cowles 1987).
Justification of the red list category
• Current red list category of the UICN: Extinct.
• The last record was a bird collected in August 1875
It is believed that hunting and habitat loss greatly contributed to its decline, and that the final blow could have been given by heavy storms 1876. curiously, He survived much longer than most species of endemic birds of the island.
Justification of the population
Cotorra de Rodrigues † en cautividad:
Leguat and his followers saw the birds – presumably Newton's Parakeet – feeding nuts, and they taught to speak to some of these parakeets, which certainly it is an indication of what these birds were tame. Apparently they became bilingual; They could speak both French and Flemish! When Leguat and his small band of followers fled the island, a parakeet they took with them on their trip to Mauritius.
– Newton’s Parakeet, Newton’s Parrot, Rodrigues Parakeet, Rodrigues Ring-necked Parakeet, Rodriguez Parakeet (English).
– Perruche de Newton (French).
– Rodriguessittich, Rodrigues-Sittich, Rodriguez-Edelsittich (German).
– Periquito-de-rodriguez (Portuguese).
– Cotorra de Newton, Cotorra de Rodrigues (Spanish).
– Order: Psittaciformes
– Family: Psittaculidae
– Genus: Psittacula
– Scientific name: psittacula exaul
– Citation: (Newton, A, 1872)
– Protonimo: Palaeornis exsul