12 cm.. length between 25 and 30 g. of weight.
The head of the Yellow-throated Hanging-Parrot (Loriculus pusillus) is bright green.
Upperparts green with yellow orange washing pale in the mantle; rump and uppertail-coverts, bright red. Wings green above, undertail, Turquoise with coverts green. Throat bright yellow, rest of the underparts bright green. Feathers of the tail green above, with side coverts yellowed and pale blue below. The bill orange; irises yellowish white; legs oranges.
Female and immature with yellow throat very small.
- Sound of the Yellow-throated Hanging-Parrot.
Reported along the edges of the forest, and in the marshy forests of the lowlands to 1.850 meters above sea level.
Possibly Nomad in response to the local plant phenology.
The species shows great activity, climbing acrobaticamente on the canopy at time of collection, and resting and sleeping mouth below as well as other members of the genus.
The birds are alone, in pairs or in groups of up to eight individuals.
The largest groups sometimes gather in trees to feed. Although discrete, the Yellow-throated Hanging-Parrot They attract attention, since when flying between the trees beat their wings emitting a characteristic hum, accompanied by shrill calls.
The laying tends to be of two eggs, deposited in the hollow of a tree, Palm or arbol-helecho, from time to time in an old nest of a barbet or Woodpecker. The nesting in West Java It was recorded between March and May.
Tamaño de su área de distribución (reproductor/residente): 167.000 km 2
• Current IUCN Red list category: Near threatened
• Population trend: Decreasing
The world population It has not been quantified, It is thought to be above 10.000 specimens. The species is generally described as rare throughout its area of distribution (pit et to the., 1997).
There are no data on population trends; However, the species is suspected decreasing at a moderately fast pace, due to the loss and degradation of its habitat.
Rare in captivity.
- Yellow-throated Hanging-Parrot, Javan Hanging-Parrot, Little Hanging-Parrot, Yellow throated Hanging Parrot, Yellow-throated Hanging Parrot (ingles).
- Coryllis à gorge jaune (francés).
- Elfenpapageichen (alemán).
- Lorículo do Java (portugués).
- Lorículo de Java, Lorículo Javanés (español).
- Orden: Psittaciformes
- Familia: Psittaculidae
- Nombre científico: Loriculus pusillus
- Citation: Gray,GR, 1859
- Protónimo: Loriculus pusillus
Yellow-throated Hanging-Parrot (Loriculus pusillus)
– Sounds: Frank Lambert (Xeno-canto)