32 cm.. length.
The head of the Buru Racket-tail (Prioniturus mada) is bright green, marked in blue-gray dark in the crown and in the nape. The upperparts are green, marked in grisaceo-azul dark in the upper mantle; Uppertail green. Wings green with lesser coverts and bend of wing Dark greyish-blue. Wing feathers green; underside of flight feather. Blue.
The underparts are yellowish-green, more yellow in undertail-coverts. Upper, the tail green, outer feathers tipped dark blue; light blue, the tail down.
Bill grey; irises dark brown; legs grey.
Female lacks the blue color in the crown, nape and the the mantle; the blue in the bend of wing is smaller; rackets of the tail shorter.
Young without rackets on tail; males with blue in the nape.
- Sound of the Buru Racket-tail.
Found until the 1600 meters above sea level, in all types of forest habitat, including selective exploitation and secondary high growth areas; also found in cultivated areas remaining trees; most common on 600 m. You often see them in small groups of up to ten birds. Tends to substitute to the Red-checked Parrot at higher elevations.
Breeding season from December to February. Up to five young can be raised in a nest.
It feeds on fruits, flowers, berries and seeds.
Endemic of the island of Buru, Indonesia. The inclusion of the species as Near-threatened is based on the assumption of a very restricted range above the 1.000 m, but evidence recently posted shows that is common on the island with a population estimated between 189.000-48S.000 birds.
• Current red list category of the UICN: Least concern
• Population trend: Stable
The size of the world population It has not been quantified, It is estimated between 189,000 and 483,000 individuals.
The species is described as common and extended (pit et to the. 1997).
The population is suspected to be stable in the absence of evidence of any reduction or substantial threats.
Not found in captivity.
- Buru Racket-tail, Buru Racket-tailed Parrot, Buru Racquet tail, Buru Racquet-tail, Buru Racquet-tail Parrot, Buru Racquet-tailed Parrot (ingles).
- Palette de Buru, Perroquet à raquette de Buru (francés).
- Madapapagei (alemán).
- Prioniturus mada (portugués).
- Lorito Momoto de Buru, Lorito-momoto de Buru (español).
- Orden: Psittaciformes
- Familia: Psittaculidae
- Genus: Prioniturus
- Nombre científico: Prioniturus mada
- Citation: Hartert, E, 1900
- Protónimo: Prioniturus mada
Buru Racket-tail (Prioniturus mada)
(1) – By Klaus Rudloff (email@example.com) – Germany , Weltvogelpark / World Bird Park – Walsrode – biolib
(2) – “Prioniturus mada qtl1” by Quartl – Own work. Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons.
(3) – “Prioniturus mada-captive-8a-toc” by Prioniturus_mada_-captive-8a.jpg: Robert01.Original uploader was Robert01 at de.wikipediaderivative work: Snowmanradio (talk) – Transferred from de.wikipedia; transferred to Commons by User:Snowmanradio using Commonshelper.(Original text: selbst fotografiert) to Prioniturus_mada_-captive-8a.jpg. Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 of via Wikimedia Commons.
(4) – by jon hornbuckle – BIRDING AROUND THE WORLD
(5) – Prioniturus mada buru racquet tail – link