Of 35 cm.. height and a weight between 400 and 500 g..
The Mascarene Parrot † (Mascarinus mascarin) It was a bird dark grayish brown on top, lighter at the bottom; the the tail feathers They were brown with white bases; head lavender gray; lores and area around the bill black. had the bill bright red. The legs They were reddish brown and eyes red.
A genetic study 2011 He placed the Mascarene Parrot of Meeting between subspecies of Black Parrot (Coracopsis nigra) of Madagascar and nearby islands, and therefore it would not be related to the parakeets Psittacula as believed. It was found that the lineage of Mascarene Parrot It separated made between 4,6 and 9 millions of years, before the formation of the isla Meeting, He is indicating that should have happened elsewhere
Nothing is known, although it is likely to be distributed in uninhabited forests where feed on fruits and nuts.
Probably fruits and nuts.
The Mascarene Parrot It was described by many early travelers to Reunion Island (in France), with several captive birds sent to France at the end of the 18th century.
Recent stories of wild birds were in the early 1770, and the birds were not mentioned by Bory a 1804, so that the species might have been extinct in the wild then. Captive birds Paris also they would have died at that time, but one bird survived in the collection of birds king Bavaria at least 1834 (checks 1987). Two specimens survive today (Forshaw and Cooper 1989)
• Current red list category of the UICN: Extinct.
• Population size : There are none.
Justification of the red list category
This species was known from the Réunion, but it has been extinguished by the hunting pressure. The last record dates from wild birds 1775, and none was observed on a visit in 1804.
Justification of the population
There are none.
It is likely to have been hunted to extinction.
"Mascarene Parrot †" in captivity:
Several captive birds sent to France at the end of the 18th century.
– Mascarene Parrot, Mascarine Parrot (English).
– Mascarin de la Réunion, Mascarin malgache (French).
– Maskarenenpapagei, Maskarenen-Papagei (German).
– Papagaio-das-mascarenas (Portuguese).
– Loro de las Mascareñas, Loro Mascarín (Spanish).
– Order: Psittaciformes
– Family: Psittaculidae
– Genus: Mascarinus
– Scientific name: Mascarinus mascarin
– Citation: (Linnaeus, 1771)
– Protonimo: Psittacus mascarin.
“Mascarene Parrot” † (Mascarinus mascarin)
(1) – The Mascarene Parrot (Mascarinus mascarinus) by John Gerrard Keulemans [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons