It is called Hound a type of dog of ancient origins. There are several breeds today throughout the entire Mediterranean: is believed to be the origin of these modern breeds in old Egypt (specifically in the Tesem race) and that the dogs were broadcast by the Mediterranean coast by the Phoenicians. Its appearance slightly recalls a Jackal or the image of the Egyptian Dios Anubis.
Various genetic studies in recent years have come to conclude that contrary to widespread belief that the hound is a type of imported primitive dog makes a 3.000 the area of middle years, These dogs really are close genetic relationship with the rest of European hunting dogs and are not more “primitive” the majority of them.
The Federation Cynologique Internationale brings together the Podencos within section 7 (Primitive type hunting dogs) Group v, the Pharaoh Hound that is used in place of origin for rabbit hunting is not included in this section, If not in the section 6 (Primitive type dogs).
Podenco breeds recognized by the FCI
- Cirneco dell'Etna
- Canarian Warren Hound
- Ca Eivissenc
- Pharaoh Hound (Pharaoh Hound)
- Portuguese Warren Hound
Not recognized by the FCI
Other races, that despite not being recognized by the FCI have typical use and morphological characteristics of the Podencos, are:
- Andalusian Hound
- Cretan Hound (Crete Hound or Hound of Crete)
- Knock knees
- CA Coniller de Menorca
- Poodle dwarf of the iron
- Hound of Lampedusa or Tunisia
- French Hound
- Galician Hound
According to the dictionary of the Royal Spanish Academy, the difference between Greyhound, Lebrel and poodle is based on the following definitions:
- Greyhound: Lightweight dog breed, with small head, large eyes, the pointed snout, the ears are thin and hanging, the slim body and neck, the long legs and tail.
- Hound: Variety of dog that stands out in having upper lip and drooping ears, the strong muzzle, straight back, the long body and legs removed back. It was given this name for being very suitable for hunting hares.
- Hound: The somewhat lower body, but more robust than the hound, with round head, the ears stiff, straight back, moderately long hair, the coiled tail and hands and feet small, but very strong. It is little barking and extremely shrewd and Agile for hunting, by its great view, smell and resistance.