23 centimeters long, not to mention their racquets, and a weight between 100 and 140 g..
The Luzon Racquet-tail (Prioniturus montanus) has the head of color green with a strong diffusion of color blue turquoise in the face; point red in the center of the crown. Upperparts dull green. Wings green, vane outside of the flight feather, green; vane grey internal, Yellow-edged; networks internal of secondary marked in color yellow pale.
Green wing feathers, bottom of bluish flight feathers; paler in network interiors to secondary internal. The underparts more green beige that the area of the back. Upper, the tail green in the center, black blue at the ends laterally; undertail, Dark, blue margin to vane inner; spatulas blackish.
Bill blue; irises dark brown; legs black blue.
Female lacks of the point red and has less blue on the crown; rackets also shorter.
Young have tail Central with extensions of feathers narrow. Pens eventually lost beards to leave spatulas.
- Sound of the Luzon Racquet-tail.
Little-known. Is distributed in the forests moist montane at altitudes ranging between the 850 and 2.000 m.
The breeding season you have registered in the months of August and September. A nest was observed in the stump of an oak high (Quercus) at a height between 3 and 4 meters above the ground.
The birds feed on seeds, fruit, berries and nuts, and have also been incursions in fields in the company of the Green Racquet-tail.
Tamaño del área de distribución (reproducción/residente): 10.400 km2
Endemic of Luzon. Being common in the Cordillera Central (for example, area Mount Pulag) and Sierra Madre, but threatened by the capture and loss of habitat in other places. The population world is inferior to 10.000 specimens.
• Current red list category of the UICN: Near threatened
• Population trend: Decreasing
Lambert et to the. (1993) estimated a maximum of 10.000 individuals.
The population is suspected of being in decline due to destruction of habitat, hunting and capture for the cage bird trade.
Conservation Actions Proposed:
Calculate loss of forests within its altitudinal range in Luzon. Estimate the remaining area of suitable habitat and, through surveys, produce an estimate of density to permit calculation of the size of its population. Protect effectively important tracts of forest right in key places, both in the areas of strict protection. as in the areas of multiple use.
His captive breeding is unknown.
- Luzon Racquet-tail, Luzon Montane Racquet-tail, Montane Racket-tail, Montane Racquet-tail, Montane Racquet-tail (nominal form), Montane Racquet-tail (nominate), Mountain Racket-tailed Parrot, Mountain Racquet-tailed Parrot (ingles).
- Palette momot, Palette momot (nominal), Palette momot (nominale), Palette momot (race nominale) (francés).
- Motmotpapagei (alemán).
- Prioniturus montanus (portugués).
- Lorito momoto Montano, Lorito-momoto Montano (español).
- Orden: Psittaciformes
- Familia: Psittaculidae
- Genus: Prioniturus
- Nombre científico: Prioniturus montanus
- Citation: Ogilvie-Grant, 1895
- Protónimo: Prioniturus montanus
Luzon Racquet-tail (Prioniturus montanus)