29 cm.. length.
The Green Racquet-tail (Prioniturus luconensis) has the head of color green light, impregnated of green yellowish around them lores and the base of the bill. Mantle light green, slightly yellowish. Wings green; vane outer, the first three primaries green, impregnated blue; vane Dark internal, the more internal with pale inner edge. Wing feathers greenish yellow, underside of flight feather impregnated of blue dark. The underparts brighter yellowish green, more yellow in the undertail-coverts. Upper, the tail green, lateral feathers strongly impregnated dark bluish-green and dark-tipped; undertail, the tail bluish.
Bill grey bluish pale ; irises dark brown; legs grey.
The female has the rackets of the tail shorter.
The juveniles they do not have rackets on tail.
- Sound of the Green Racquet-tail.
Previously reported in the strata media of the land low of forest primary, and in the nearby cornfields, for the most part below 700 m. Recent records are from small groups of a maximum of seven birds that live most degraded or selectively, in exploited forests outside of settlements.
Young have been observed in Luzon during the month of may. The nest It , apparently, a hollow tree. Little more is known about the habits of this rare Parrot.
The diet includes fruit, tender maize, rice, seeds and flowers.
Tamaño del área de distribución (reproducción/residente): 93.500 km2
Endemic of Luzon and Marinduque, North of Philippines. Although the species was seen as fairly common at the end of the last century in the Centre of Luzon, It seems to have suffered a rapid decline in recent years. Has not been registered in the Cordillera Central in this century, and now you can have their stronghold in the Sierra Madre, where it was reported that was generally uncommon or rare in the Decade of 1990. It is rare in all currently considered Luzon except perhaps in the Subic Bay Naval Reserve Forest (Bataan, to the East of Manila). There are no recent records of Marinduque.
• Current red list category of the UICN: Danger
• Population trend: Decreasing
The population lies in the band's 1,000 to 2,499 mature individuals.
The threats by the tala generalized and their captures to the trade of birds of cage, suggest that this species is experiencing a downhill fast in the population.
There is no national legislation to protect trade and hunting, Although this is often violated. It is currently known from two protected areas, the Bataan Natural Park / Subic Bay forest reserve and the Parque Natural del North Sierra Madre. Receive nominal protection in the Maria Aurora Memorial Park.
Parrot moderately loud, with nice voice. New birds are highly susceptible to diseases. Initially shy, but eventually he acclimatizes to the caregiver.
Practically unknown in captivity.
- Green Racquet-tail, Green Racket-tail, Green Racket-tailed Parrot, Green Racquet tail, Green Racquet-tail Parrot, Green Racquet-tailed Parrot, Green recket-tailed parrot, Green-crowned Racket-tailed Parrot, Green-headed Racket-tailed Parrot, Green-headed Racquet-tailed Parrot (ingles).
- Palette verte, Perroquet à raquette verte (francés).
- Luzon-Spatelschwanzpapagei, Luzonpapagei (alemán).
- Prioniturus luconensis (portugués).
- Lorito momoto de Luzón, Lorito Momoto Verde, Lorito-momoto de Luzón (español).
- Orden: Psittaciformes
- Familia: Psittaculidae
- Genus: Prioniturus
- Nombre científico: Prioniturus luconensis
- Citation: Steere, 1890
- Protónimo: Prioniturus Luconensis
Green Racquet-tail (Prioniturus luconensis)
(1) – By marco cooked – Forum The European Ornithological Association