28 a 31 cm.. tall and around 250 g. weight.
The Speckle-faced Parrot (Pionus tumultuosus) It is distinguishable by color from whitish crown up to the nape; base bill red rose, with forecrown redder. Cheeks whitish with red and purple tint to the neck; Purple chest.
Shoulder with thin strip yellow with reddish tint, inside base tail and crissum, red; the rest of the tail is green with blue on the outer feathers; under belly with red feathers with green edge.
ocula ringr greyish
The youth They have almost all head green and the wings, greenish yellow.
The Speckle-faced Parrot It is probably the rarest and most controversial genre Pionus. It is sometimes divided into two species, in which case, the Pionus tumultuosus South is known as Speckle-faced Parrot, while the North, Pionus seniloides, They are known as White-capped Parrot (which leads to easy confusion with Pionus senilis).
- Sound of the Speckle-faced Parrot.
It inhabits in Andean and sub-Andean cloud forests and forest edges, between 1600 and 3200 meters above sea level.
It is highly Nomad with temporal variations in the number of individuals who can be registered in a locality.
With reproduce In September. In captivity puts 4 eggs which incubated about 26 days. more aspects of reproductive biology are unknown.
It has been registered consuming fruits of Turpinia paniculata and sometimes they are observed in large numbers feeding on corn crops in cultivated areas and banana plantations.
Its population is distributed in the southern Andes, from the center of Peru until Bolivia.
Size of the area of distribution (reproduction / resident): 329.000 km2
• Current red list category of the UICN: Least concern.
• Population trend: Decreasing.
Justification of the population
The size of the world population It has not been quantified, but this species is described as “quite common, but irregular distribution” (Stotz et to the., 1996).
Justification of trend
It is suspected that the population is in decline due to the continuous habitat destruction.
Parrot tumultuous captive:
This species is virtually nonexistent in poultry farming. There is only a small collection, private property in the United States. The Fundación Loro Parque in Tenerife, Spain, It has some copies.
The majority of the Speckle-faced Parrot imported to United States They were victims of aspergillosis - Probably caused by stress suffered during the import process.
In captivity They were observed as the to intelligent species, inquisitive and sometimes timid and nervous. Will get used to their caregiver over time. You can interact with a person and jealously attacking others. Prone to obesity.
– Speckle-faced Parrot, Plum-crowned Parrot, Speckle-faced Parrot (Plum-crowned) (inglés).
– Pione pailletée, Pione pourprée (francés).
– Purpurstirnpapagei (alemán).
– Curica-de-cara-manchada (portugués).
– Cotorra Gorriblanca, Loro Rosado, Loro Tumultuoso (español).
– Orden: Psittaciformes
– Familia: Psittacidae
– Genus: Pionus
– Nombre científico: Pionus tumultuosus
– Citation: (von Tschudi, 1844)
– Protónimo: Psittacus tumultuosus
Imágenes Loro tumultuoso:
Loro tumultuoso (Pionus tumultuosus)
(1) – Eduardo Nogueira
(2) – Speckle-faced Parrot at La Merced Zoo By josecajacuri [CC BY-SA 2.0], via Wikimedia Commons
(3) – Speckle-faced Parrot “Pionus tumultuosus” on the grounds of the Pueblo Hotel, Aguas Calientes by Carol Foil – Flickr
(4) – Speckle-faced Parrot “Pionus tumultuosus” on the grounds of the Pueblo Hotel, Aguas Calientes by Carol Foil – Flickr
(5) – Speckle-faced Parrot “Pionus tumultuosus” on the grounds of the Pueblo Hotel, Aguas Calientes by Carol Foil – Flickr
(6) – PIONUS TUMULTUOSUS By Allen, Edgar W.; Erxleben, J.; Hanhart, Michael; Hanhart, N; Keulemans, J. G.; Mintern Bros.; Rowley, George Dawson; Smith, J.; Walther, T. [CC BY 2.0 or Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
– Sonidos: Sebastian K. Herzog