25 cm.. height.
The Santa Marta Parakeet (Pyrrhura viridicata) It, in general, green, with a strip red feature in the half of the chest that continues until the shoulder and armpit. The scales of the chest is less evident; the flight feathers blue. Band front narrow red in the forecrown and behind the eye with red and yellow dye. Tail over green and below red opaque.
Bill color bone; Brown IRIS; pale black legs. It has no sexual dimorphism.
- Sound of the Santa Marta Parakeet.
It inhabits in mountain rainforest, clouded forest, pastures and edges, from 1900 a 2800 m. They fly at dawn and at dusk in compact and numerous flocks on the canopy of the forest. Is les has observed flying over them clear adjacent and each time more visiting them mulberry plantations.
The species rests and nests in couples and in lesser proportion in groups of three individuals in cavities of Palms of bouquet Ceroxylon ceriferum (Arecaceae).
The period reproductive is starts in December and lasts until June, the cavities are visited on average 4 a 5 times a day. There is a sexual dimorphism and a low reproductive success can be associated with displacement or predation by the Aratinga wagleri wagleri (Scarlet-fronted Parakeet) or the Santa Marta Toucanet (Aulacorhynchus lautus prassinus) – Ramphastidae.
Twelve plant species are incorporated into the diet so far known to the Santa Marta Parakeet, It consists mainly of flowers and fruits, the inflorescence of the Croton bogotanus (Euphorbiaceae) is their main source of food. It forages in groups of size variable, showing an integration and disintegration of subgroups throughout the day. A sentinel system was observed.
Size of the area of distribution (reproduction / resident): 1,600 km2
Endemic species of Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta, to the northeast of Colombia. The towns registered include The Summit, East of Taquiña on the basis of the Páramo of Mamarongo in the Guajira, and Cerro Quemado in the mountains of San Lorenzo.
Will produce some movements altitudinal seasonal. Almost all the habitat forest subtropical is designated as reserve forest or Park national, but the clearing for plantations of marijuana has been extensive, similar to the use of herbicides to combat it. So it only remains for the 15% the original forest (especially in the hillsides North), including only 200 the preferred height of the species km2. Quite common within this range very restricted, but the population probably below of the 5.000 birds.
• Current red list category of the UICN: In danger of extinction.
• Population trend: Decreasing.
Justification of the red list category
The range of this species and its small population are probably decreasing as a result of habitat loss. Therefore, qualifies as in danger.
Justification of the population
The population It has been estimated for a long time between 5.000 and 10.000 individuals, equivalent approximately to 3.300-6.700 mature individuals. The density of population is of 1 Ave per km2 (Botero-Delgadillo et to the. 2012). Assuming that the 680 km2 of habitat are fully occupied, the population total is calculated that is 2,900-4,800 birds, which is equivalent to 1,933-3,200 mature individuals; However, with occupation part is likely to remain less than 2.500 birds (Botero-Delgadillo et to the. 2012).
Justification of trend
Se sospecha una decrease moderate and continuous of the population on the basis of the rates of habitat loss.
· Is only a 15% the original vegetation of the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta, to a large extent on the slope North, where this species is found (LM Renjifo, Com. 1993, 2000).
· The main threat today is the expansion of plantations of non-native trees, such as the of Pine and eucalyptus, In addition to the clearance of land for the livestock (C. Olaciregui in litt. 2012).
· Historically, the conversion of forests in plantations of marijuana and coca was also a major threat (LG Olarte in litt., 1993, com LM Renjifo. Comm., 1993, J. Fjeldså verbally of 2000, pers LM Renjifo. Comm., 2000, C. Olaciregui in litt. 2012), that is compounded by the Government with application of herbicides in the sierra (LG Olarte in litt., 1993, com LM Renjifo. Comm., 1993, 2000).
· Other threats that followed to the human migration to the area Since the Decade of 1950 hereafter include slash & burn (Dinerstein et to the., 1995, Snyder et to the. 2000, Salazar and Strewe undated, PGW Salaman in litt. 1999).
· We know that it is hunted in the Valley of the river cold, and in the San Pedro district individuals in mulberry plantations have skyrocketed. The species not found in the local bird trade (Strewe 2005).
Santa Marta Parakeet in captivity:
Not marketed for captive.
– Santa Marta Parakeet, Santa Marta Conure (English).
– Conure des Santa Marta, Perriche de Santa Marta, Perruche de Santa Marta (French).
– Santa-Marta-Sittich, Santa Marta Sittich, Sittich (German).
– Santa Marta Parakeet (Portuguese).
– Cotorra de Santa Marta, Perico Oliva, Periquito de Santa Marta (Spanish).
– Order: Psittaciformes
– Family: Psittacidae
– Genus: Pyrrhura
– Scientific name: Pyrrhura viridicata
– Citation: Todd, 1913
– Protonimo: Pyrrhura viridicata
Santa Marta Parakeet (Pyrrhura viridicata)
Parrots of the World – Forshaw Joseph M
Parrots A Guide to the Parrots of the World – Tony Juniper & Mike Parr
Oliveros rooms, H.. 2005. Population and ecological evaluation of the Santa Marta parakeet Parrot parakeet in the sector of San Lorenzo, Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta, Colombia. (ProAves.org)
(1) – Fundación ProAves – Proaves.org