Measured around 10 cm.. length and approximately 12 g. of weight.
The head of the Green-fronted Hanging Parrot (Loriculus tener)(Loriculus tener) is green. Upperparts Green except for the rump and upper coverts of the tail that are yellowish-green. The wings they are green with vane internal darker towards the flight feather.
Below, the wings Blue with Feather coverts green. Chin red orange; rest of the underparts green. Upper, the tail green, pale blue view from below.
The bill black; irises yellowish white; legs yellowish brown.
The female have the front part of the crown and face blue.
The young birds they lack the orange patch of the throat and your bill is pale-brown.
A species very little known. Has been recorded along of the edge of forests and partially cleared from the lowlands up to the low hills areas.
There is practically no information. Only a nest found, in the stump of one areca palm.
There is practically no information, but it is suspected that they feed on flowers and small fruit, usually, alone or in pairs, and often hung upside down.
Tamaño del área de distribución (reproducción/residente): 26.300 km2
• Current IUCN Red list category: Near threatened
• Population trend: Decreasing
This little known species is classified as Near-threatened, Since it is believed that it has a moderately low population that is limited to the lower forests. These areas are developing rapidly in oil palm plantations and therefore the population is undoubtedly decreasing.
In New England, the logging of forests in the lowlands for conversion to oil palm plantations has been intense in recent decades.
The population size is between the 10.000 and 19.999 mature individuals.
Usually they are not in captivity.
- Green-fronted Hanging Parrot, Bismarck Hanging Parrot, Bismarck Hanging-parrot, Green fronted Hanging Parrot, Green-fronted Hanging-Parrot (ingles).
- Coryllis des Bismarck, Coryllis à front vert, Coryllis des Bismark (francés).
- Bismarckpapageichen, Goldstirnpapageichen, Zartpapageichen (alemán).
- Lorículo de las Bismarck (español).
- Orden: Psittaciformes
- Familia: Psittaculidae
- Genus: Loriculus
- Nombre científico: Loriculus tener
- Citation: Sclater,PL, 1877
- Protónimo: Loriculus tener
Green-fronted Hanging Parrot (Loriculus tener)
(1) – “Loriculus tener Smit” by Joseph Smit – Ornithological Miscellany. Volume 2. Licensed under Public Domain via Wikimedia Commons – http://Commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/file:Loriculus_tener_smit.jpg#mediaviewer/file:Loriculus_tener_smit.jpg