23 cm.. height.
The Red-faced Parrot (Hapalopsittaca pyrrhops) It is distinguishable by the intense red in face and pink magenta in shoulder.
Of bill Of course, yellow feathers on the sides of the neck, crown Green with more bluish back.
Dorsally, wing with blue stain and end blackish; tail with blue border.
In flight, wing with armpit red, Blue-Green rest, tail Red with blue tip.
Youth with the face less red.
- Sound of the Red-faced Parrot.
Rare. It inhabits in the Woods high Andean, near fells, edges and secondary forests, from the 2400 a 3500 m. They are gregarious, usually in pairs or small flocks of 4 a 6 individuals, rarely more.
They are mostly sedentary. However, can arise some movements seasonal altitudinal.
Nest in the cavities of trees in October-January; the laying of eggs in late November; the chicks are born in early December, and they leave the nest in late January.
They feed in the canopy of the forest.
Its diet includes outbreaks, flowers, berries and seeds.
Size of the area of distribution (reproduction / resident): 33.800 km2
Inhabits the southern Andes Ecuador and North end of Peru.
• Current red list category of the UICN: Vulnerable.
• Population trend: Decreasing.
The population is estimated at a number of 2.500-9.999 mature individuals.
Its decline is attributed to the destruction and fragmentation of habitat, largely through the conversion of the burning of forests in small farms (Jacobs and Walker, 1999).
Severe loss of this species can be expected due to deforestation and degradation of forests, by burning and grazing, on Cordillera de Chilla, Loja of Ecuador, although 1995 still, there were extensive areas forest (Toyne and Flanagan 1997, Jacobs and Walker 1999).
Ecuadorian Lorito in captivity:
Unknown in the poultry.
– Red-faced Parrot, Ecuadorian Parrot, Red faced Parrot (English).
– Caïque de Salvin, Caïque à face rouge (French).
– Salvinpapagei, Salvins Zwergpapagei (German).
– Red-faced Parrot (Portuguese).
– Lorito Ecuatoriano (Spanish).
– Loro de Cara Roja (Peru).
– Order: Psittaciformes
– Family: Psittacidae
– Genus: Hapalopsittaca
– Scientific name: Hapalopsittaca pyrrhops
– Citation: (Salvin, 1876)
– Protonimo: Pionopsitta pyrrhops
Red-faced Parrot (Hapalopsittaca pyrrhops)
- Parrots of the World – Forshaw Joseph M
- Parrots A Guide to the Parrots of the World – Tony Juniper & Mike Parr
- Book parrots, Parrots and macaws Neotropical
(1) – Red-faced Parrot (Hapalopsittaca pyrrhops) by Dusan M. Brinkhuizen – IBC
- Sounds: (Xeno-canto)