27 cm. long, 24 without snowshoes, and a weight between 140 and 160 g.
The head of the Blue-crowned Racquet-tail (Prioniturus discurus) bright green is strongly imbued with bright blue in the crown and brighter green in checks and lores.
Upperparts green. Wings green, darker in the vane inmates of the flight feather, with a narrow pale margin along the innermost edge; primary external Blue-Green. Wing feathers green, underside of flight feather bluish green. The underparts yellowish-green illuminated. Upper, the lateral feathers of the tail green, Basal Blue with black tips; undertail, the tail strongly impregnated with blue; Blackish spatulas.
Bill whitish; irises dark brown; legs grey.
The female similar to the male but with the the tail rackets shorter.
Young with less blue in the crown and the absence of the rackets.
- Sound of the Blue-crowned Racquet-tail.
- Prioniturus discurus discurus (Vieillot, 1822) – The nominal
- Prioniturus Discurus Whiteheadi (Salomonsen, 1953) – Has less blue on the Crown and in the center of this is not clearly defined and merges gradually with the rest of the green of the head.
– Prioniturus discurus and Prioniturus mindorensis (Pit and necklace 2014) they were grouped previously as Prioniturus discurus
– Previously included to the Blue-headed Racquet-tail (Prioniturus platenae) in this species.
Moist forests, mangroves, plantations, crops in the lowlands and mountains to 1.750 meters above sea level. Seen flying above the canopy in small noisy groups of five to twelve birds outside the breeding season. Groups gather to feed on fruit trees, including banana.
The diet includes fruits, berries, nuts and seeds.
Distribution of subspecies:
- Prioniturus discurus discurus – The nominal
- Prioniturus Discurus Whiteheadi – North of Philippines (Luzon, Catanduanes, Tables, Sibuyan, Ticao, Masbate, Biliran, Samar, Surigao del Sur, Guimaras, Black, Cebu, Bohol, and Leyte)
• Current red list category of the UICN: Least concern
• Population trend: Stable
The size of the world population It has not been quantified, is estimated at less of 10.000 specimens. The species according to information, It is generally common even in degraded Islands very deforested habitats (pit et to the. 1997).
The population is suspected that it may be in decline due to the capture and loss of habitat.
Unknown in captivity.
- Blue-crowned Racquet-tail, Blue-crowned Racket-tail (ingles).
- Palette à couronne bleue (francés).
- Philippinen-Spatelschwanzpapagei (alemán).
- Prioniturus discurus (portugués).
- Lorito momoto coroniazul, Lorito-momoto Coroniazul (español).
- Orden: Psittaciformes
- Familia: Psittaculidae
- Genus: Prioniturus
- Nombre científico: Prioniturus discurus
- Citation: (Vieillot, 1822)
- Protónimo: Psittacus discurus
Blue-crowned Racquet-tail (Prioniturus discurus)
(1) – Salomonsen`s racquet-tail parrot/ Prioniturus discurus whiteheadi by AlexKant – ZooChat