27 a 28 centimeters length (23,5 not to mention their racquets).
The head of the Blue-headed Racquet-tail (Prioniturus platenae) is clear brilliant blue. Mantle and back of color green light; rump slightly brighter green. Wings green, flight feather with vane internos negruzcas.
Underwing coverts Turquoise Green, strongly impregnated with blue. Upper abdominal area green, strongly impregnated with blue; undertail-coverts brighter yellowish green, uppertail-coverts bright. Upper, the tail green, Blue-Green lateral feathers with black tips; undertail, the tail oscura, bathed in blue; spatulas blackish
Bill blue-white; irises yellowish; legs black.
Female no blue in the underparts (or simply a wash light blue) and a wash light turquoise blue in the head, in the absence of the male light blue Cap; also with extensions in tail shorter.
- Sound of the Blue-headed Racquet-tail.
Little-known. La especie se encuentra en los bosques húmedos de tierras bajas y los cultivos cercanos hasta altitudes por encima de los 300 m. In the islands of the North of Palawan, you have registered in the ultrabásico forest, matorrales de bambú, mangroves and natural grasslands with scattered trees.. Birds are often recorded in small groups and their habits are presumably similar to those of other Prioniturus.
There are hardly any data relating to its reproduction. Marked juvenile birds have been collected in January (two) and in August, and a markedly immature, in the month of may.
There are many data about food. Se han encontrado restos de frutos secos en los estómagos de los especímenes.
Endemic to Palawan and associated Islands, West of Philippines. Registered in Balabac, Dumaran and the islands of the Calamian group (Culion, Calauit, Busuanga). Uncommon and declining due to the destruction of their habitat and indiscriminate capture. La especie es poco común pero regular en el Parque nacional del río subterráneo de Puerto Princesa.
• Current category of the Red List of the UICN: Vulnerable
• Population trend: Decreasing
The population is estimated at 2,500-9,999 individuals based on an assessment of the known records, descriptions of the abundance and range size.
The lack of recent information on this species is opposed to making strong claims about its current trend, but threats by logging, la minería y la captura, They suggest that the species is declining rapidly.
The set of Palawan It is classified as a hunting ground, where is hunting illegal, the island was designated as a Biosphere reserve in 1990. However, la legislación que controla la alteración del hábitat y la caza es difícil de hacer cumplir de manera efectiva.
"Blue-headed Racquet-tail" in captivity:
Not found in captivity.
– Blue-headed Racquet-tail, Blue headed Racquet tail, Blue-headed Racket-Tail, Blueheaded Racket-tailed Parrot, Blue-headed Racquet Tail, Palawan Racket-tailed Parrot, Palawan Racquet-tail, Palawan Racquet-tailed Parrot (ingles).
– Palette de Palawan, Palette à tête bleue, Perroquet à raquette de Palawan (French).
– Palawan-Spatelschwanzpapagei, Palawan Spatelschwanz-Papagei, Palawanpapagei (German).
– Prioniturus platenae (Portuguese).
– Lorito Momoto de Palau, Lorito momoto de Palawan, Lorito-momoto de Palawan (español).
– Order: Psittaciformes
– Family: Psittaculidae
– Genus: Prioniturus
– Scientific name: Prioniturus platenae
– Citation: Blasius,W, 1888
– Protonimo: Prioniturus platenae
– Recent phylogenetic study suggests that this species is part of a clade containing also to the P. waterstradti, P. Montanus and P. mindorensis. Formerly treated as a subspecies of the P. discurus, but the treatment recently strengthened as species, considers it Monotípica.
Images "Blue-headed Racquet-tail"
“Blue-headed Racquet-tail” (Prioniturus platenae)