27 - 28 centimeters length (23,5 not to mention their racquets).
The head of the Blue-headed Racquet-tail (Prioniturus platenae) is clear brilliant blue. Mantle and back of color green light; rump slightly brighter green. Wings green, flight feather with vane Blackish internal.
Underwing coverts Turquoise Green, strongly impregnated with blue. Upper abdominal area green, strongly impregnated with blue; undertail-coverts brighter yellowish green, uppertail-coverts bright. Upper, the tail green, Blue-Green lateral feathers with black tips; undertail, the tail Dark, bathed in blue; spatulas blackish
Bill blue-white; irises yellowish; legs black.
Female no blue in the underparts (or simply a wash light blue) and a wash light turquoise blue in the head, in the absence of the male light blue Cap; also with extensions in tail shorter.
- Sound of the Blue-headed Racquet-tail.
Little-known. The species is found in the humid forests of lowlands and nearby crops up to altitudes above the 300 m. In the islands of the North of Palawan, you have registered in the ultrabásico forest, bamboo thickets, mangroves and natural grasslands with scattered trees.. Birds are often recorded in small groups and their habits are presumably similar to those of other Prioniturus.
There are hardly any data relating to its reproduction. Marked juvenile birds have been collected in January (two) and in August, and a markedly immature, in the month of may.
There are many data about food. Remains of nuts in the stomachs of specimens have been found.
Endemic of Palawan and associated Islands, West of Philippines. Registered in Balabac, Dumaran and the islands of the Calamian group (Culion, Calauit, Busuanga). Uncommon and declining due to the destruction of their habitat and indiscriminate capture. The species is rare but regular in the The Puerto Princesa subterranean River National Park.
• Current red list category of the UICN: Vulnerable
• Population trend: Decreasing
The population is estimated at 2,500-9,999 individuals based on an assessment of the known records, descriptions of the abundance and range size.
The lack of recent information on this species is opposed to making strong claims about its current trend, but threats by logging, mining and capture, They suggest that the species is declining rapidly.
The set of Palawan It is classified as a hunting ground, where is hunting illegal, the island was designated as a Biosphere reserve in 1990. However, the legislation that controls the alteration of habitat and hunting is difficult to enforce effectively.
"Blue-headed Racquet-tail" in captivity:
Not found in captivity.
– Blue-headed Racquet-tail, Blue headed Racquet tail, Blue-headed Racket-Tail, Blueheaded Racket-tailed Parrot, Blue-headed Racquet Tail, Palawan Racket-tailed Parrot, Palawan Racquet-tail, Palawan Racquet-tailed Parrot (English).
– Palette de Palawan, Palette à tête bleue, Perroquet à raquette de Palawan (French).
– Palawan-Spatelschwanzpapagei, Palawan Spatelschwanz-Papagei, Palawanpapagei (German).
– Prioniturus platenae (Portuguese).
– Lorito Momoto de Palau, Lorito momoto de Palawan, Lorito-momoto de Palawan (Spanish).
– Order: Psittaciformes
– Family: Psittaculidae
– Genus: Prioniturus
– Scientific name: Prioniturus platenae
– Citation: Blasius,W, 1888
– Protonimo: Prioniturus platenae
– Recent phylogenetic study suggests that this species is part of a clade containing also to the P. waterstradti, P. Montanus and P. mindorensis. Formerly treated as a subspecies of the P. discurus, but the treatment recently strengthened as species, considers it Monotypic.
Images "Blue-headed Racquet-tail"
“Blue-headed Racquet-tail” (Prioniturus platenae)