Very small size, 12 cm.. height.
The Amazonian Parrotlet (Nannopsittaca dachilleae) has pointed wings, something square tail. Distinguishable from this species is the forehead and Crown with blue dye, feet and pink Bill, area naked clear around the eye. Usually green body on the back, and more yellowish belly.
Seen climbing on trees.
It is presumed that they nest in bromeliads conglomerates or other epiphytes.
Calls are described as acute, they sound very similar to the chicks of birds of farm.
The Amazonian Parrotlet sound.[audio:HTTPS://www.mascotarios.org/wp-content/themes/imageless_gray_beauty/sonidos/Cotorrita amazonica.mp3]
It is found in the western part of the Amazon basin, from the South and South-East of Peru until Bolivia Northwest. Probably West of Brazil.
It is a scarce bird that rarely has photographed. The conservation of the rainforest is crucial to their survival. There are many threats to the ecosystem of the Amazonian Parrotlet, the collection of the Guaua bamboo, the Habitat fragmentation and pollution.
According to the IUCN categories is considered near threatened (NT). Deforestation, mainly for colonization, extraction of timber and mining, affect their populations.
- Manu Parrotlet o Amazonian Parrotlet (inglés)
- Amazonaspapagei, Amazonassittich, Urwaldsittich (Alemania)
- Toui de D'Achille, Toui de l'Amazone (Francia)
- Periquito-da-amazônia (Brasil).
- Periquito-da-Amazônia (Portugal).
- Periquito Amazónico (Perú).
- Orden: Psittaciformes
- Familia: Psittacidae
- Genus: Nannopsittaca
- Nombre científico: Nannopsittaca dachilleae
- Citation: O'Neill, Munn & Franke, 1991
- Protónimo: Nannopsittaca dachilleae
Amazonian Parrotlet (Nannopsittaca dachilleae)
Source: Book parrots, Parrots and macaws Neotropical