15 cm.. length between 28 and 35 g. of weight.
The head of the Sulawesi Hanging-Parrot (Loriculus stigmatus) is bright green, with the Crown of bright red ending in a clear line through the back of the Crown which does not extend on the neck.
Green upper parts, lightly impregnated with yellowish-orange in the mantle; rump and supracaudales coverts Crimson dark. Green wing; edge of the carpal bones with small red mark. The underwings of turquoise blue with small green coverts. The lower parts of bright green with red stripe below the Chin and throat Center. Upper, the Green tail; light blue below.
Black Peak; pale-yellow IRIS; Pink-Orange legs.
Females lack Red Crown and has a narrow red bib; Iris can be darker.
Young birds lack the Red Crown, It has a bib less clear and more yellowish, yellow edges of the Carpus, and in general a duller Green.
- Sound of the Sulawesi Hanging-Parrot.
Slight differences in the degree of the orange-yellow colour in the mantle of some populations of the island are not considered sufficient to differentiate them.
• Loriculus stigmatus stigmatus : The nominal.
• Loriculus stigmatus croconotus
• Loriculus stigmatus quadricolor
Little is known of the ecology of the species. Possible seasonal movements have been observed. According to reports, It is not in primary forest and is most common along the edges of forests, in the open field, and sometimes around urban centres, until 1.000 meters above sea level. Birds move usually alone or in pairs, whether it is flying above or feeding on the trees in flower. Nest-holes in thick bamboo have been registered.
Reproductive activity has been reported in February, from April to June, and in August and October
The Sulawesi Hanging-Parrot nests in cavities. It usually lays three eggs. The female incubates the egg during 20 days and after hatching the chicks are slow to develop 33 more days
The diet includes fruits and nectar.
Of the three subspecies, including the nominal:
• Loriculus stigmatus stigmatus – Müller, S, 1843 – Celebes
• Loriculus stigmatus croconotus – Jany, 1955 – Buton Islands and Muna
• Loriculus stigmatus quadricolor – Walden, 1872 – Togian Islands.
– The population trend: Stable
The size of the world's population has not been quantified, Although it is estimated over the 100.000 specimens. The species according to information is common and widespread in most parts of its area of distribution (pit et to the. 1997).
The population is suspected to be stable in the absence of evidence of any reduction or substantial threats.
Lorículo Celebes in captivity:
– Sulawesi Hanging-Parrot, Black-billed Hanging-Parrot, Celebes Hanging Parrot, Celebes Hanging-Parrot, Celebes Spotted Hanging-Parrot, Great Hanging Parrot, Maroon-rumped Hanging-Parrot, Red-capped Hanging-Parrot, Sulawesi Hanging Parrot (English).
– Coryllis des Célèbes (French).
– Rotplättchen, Rotlättchen (German).
– Lorículo do Célebes (Portuguese).
– Lorículo Celebiano, Lorículo de Célebes (Spanish).
– Order: Psittaciformes
– Family: Psittaculidae
– Scientific name: Loriculus stigmatus
– Citation: (Muller,S, 1843)
– Protonimo: Psittacus (Psittacula) stigmatus
Sulawesi Hanging-Parrot images:
(1) – By Lip Kee Yap [CC BY-SA 2.0], via Wikimedia Commons
(2) – male perched. by iggino – lynx
(3) – Birds-pet-wallpapers – link
(4) – male hanging by iggino – lynx
(5) – By F. Schulter – papageien.org
– Sounds: Frank Lambert (Xeno-canto)