10 to 11 cm.. length.
The head of the Red-billed Hanging-Parrot (Loriculus exilis) is green, brighter around the base of the bill and bathed in color green blue in it chin, the throat, the cheeks and the part front of it crown.
The underparts is green, with the rump and uppertail-coverts dark red (very extended below the tail); the sides and the base of the rump are greenish-yellow. Wings green. Under, the wings Turquoise with coverts green. Throat of color red bordered of blue pale and extending is about part superior of the chest; rest of the underparts green, slightly more clear that the upperparts. The tail, at the top, Green with yellowish tips; undertail, the tail is of a pale color green blue.
The bill coral red; irises yellow; legs oranges.
The females lack of the bib red (or have very small bib). Also have a reduced blue diffusion in the chest and irises brown.
The young birds they have a bib Red small, a bill yellowish brown, and a pale brown iris.
- Sound of the Red-billed Hanging-Parrot.
Generally little-known. It is distributed by forests, coastal mangroves, around the villages and in the open field, from the lowlands to the wooded hills to some 1.000 m, altitudes and in similar habitats to the of the Sulawesi Hanging-Parrot.
The birds are found in groups of up to five copies, feeding in the canopy of figs or the trees in flower nectar; their power moves have been compared with the movements of crawling in the Pygmy Parrot Micropsitta. Larger flocks have been found in the mangroves during may, Although the species can reproduce twice a year, in February and August; It is not known whether these represent concentrations post-cria or nomadic groups.
A hole in a Palm tree dead is the only record known of a zone of nesting.
Feeds of figs or nectar.
Tamaño del área de distribución (reproducción/residente): 103.000 km2
• Current IUCN Red list category: Near threatened
• Population trend: Decreasing
The size of the world population It has not been quantified, Although it is estimated at more than 10.000 specimens. The species is described as rare and rare.
There are no data on trends in the population, but the species is suspected to be decreasing at a moderately fast pace, due to degradation of the habitat.
Very rare in captivity.
- Red-billed Hanging-Parrot, Celebes Lilliput Hanging-Parrot, Green Hanging Parrot, Green Hanging-Parrot, Lilliput Hanging-Parrot, Pygmy Hanging Parrot, Pygmy Hanging-Parrot, Red billed Hanging Parrot, Red-billed Hanging Parrot, Talabula Hanging-Parrot (ingles).
- Coryllis vert (francés).
- Däumlingspapageichen, Däumlings-Papageichen (alemán).
- Lorículo Exiguo (portugués).
- Lorículo Exiguo (español).
- Orden: Psittaciformes
- Familia: Psittaculidae
- Genus: Loriculus
- Nombre científico: Loriculus exilis
- Citation: Schlegel, 1866
- Protónimo: Loriculus exilis
Red-billed Hanging-Parrot (Loriculus exilis)
– Sounds: Mike Nelson (Xeno-canto)