17 to 18 cm.. height.
The Spot-winged Parrotlet (Touit stictopterus) It has a green overall coloration, clearer to the abdomen, wings brownish with white spots; below the tail opaque olive is yellow with blue edge.
The female differs from the male by feathers middle-lower wing which they are green; the forecrown and the face They are yellowish green.
- Sound of the Spot-winged Parrotlet.
Very rare species. Observed at the local level and in low densities in a Habitat in decline. Its population It is likely to be small and declining, with very small sub-populations in each known locality.
It inhabits on cloudy forests and semi-humid areas of seasonal crops, between 600 and 2400 m. Apparently performs altitudinal migrations, Perhaps conditioned by the supply of food.
The reproduction It is performed in March.
Feed of fruit and maize.
Size of the area of distribution (reproduction / resident): 129.000 km2
Globally it is in the category vulnerable (VU) and in Colombia in danger of extinction (IN). Deforestation in Andes It is their main threat.
Cotorrita Alipinta in captivity:
Because of its condition It is not recommended that you keep this bird as a pet.
– Spot-winged Parrotlet, Brown-shouldered Parrotlet, Emma’s Parrotlet, Spot winged Parrotlet (English).
– Toui tacheté, Toui d’Emma (French).
– Tüpfelpapagei, Tüpfel-Papagei (German).
– Spot-winged Parrotlet (Portuguese).
– Cotorrita Alipinta, Lorito de Alas Moteadas, Periquito Alipunteado (Spanish).
– Periquito Alipunteado (Colombia).
– Periquito de Ala Punteada (Peru).
– Order: Psittaciformes
– Family: Psittacidae
– Genus: Touit
– Scientific name: Touit stictopterus
– Citation: (Sclater, PL, 1862)
– Protonimo: Urochroma stictoptera
Images Spot-winged Parrotlet:
Spot-winged Parrotlet (Touit stictopterus)
- Parrots of the World – Forshaw Joseph M
- Parrots A Guide to the Parrots of the World – Tony Juniper & Mike Parr
- Book parrots, Parrots and macaws Neotropical
(1) – Urochroma stictoptera = Touit stictoptera by Joseph Wolf [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
- Sounds: (Xeno-canto)