The height of the Blue-fronted Parrotlet (Touit dilectissimus) varies between the 15 and 18 cm.. Is distinguished by the red line that goes from the bill towards the back of the eye and below the eye ring white, and blue along the red line from the forecrown up to the back side of. Wings with the part inside red and yellow, evident on the fly, shoulder and external margin of the wings red, crown and nape green.
Tail with black border, Yellow ends and green central part.
The female have the Red of the shoulder reduced or absent.
- Sound of the Blue-fronted Parrotlet.
Little common and churlish. It is found in rainforest often clouded and high stubble, between 700 and 1700 meters above sea level (apparently with migration to the 3000 m). ANDA in pairs or groups of 15 or more, lie quietly in the canopy.
In-flight calls are based on mild or sharp notes repeated several times between pauses. Calls are stronger during the flight.
It nests in termite mounds on tree.
It feeds on small seeds, fruits and flowers.
Can be seen in freedom from Panama, Colombian Pacific to the Northwest of Ecuador, and in the northeast of Colombia and Northwest of Venezuela.
Appreciated a decrease of the species due to deforestation at the local level (in particular in Colombia).
The population size World has not been quantified, but this species is described as “rare” (Stotz et to the. 1996).
The population is suspected to be stable in the absence of evidence of any reduction or substantial threats.
Cotorrita Cariazul in captivity:
These birds are rare to see them in captivity. Any person possessing one has to know that it can not be put into freedom, It must be part of a well-managed maintenance program to ensure the continued existence of this species.
– Blue-fronted Parrotlet, Blue fronted Parrotlet, Red-winged Parrotlet (English).
– Toui à front bleu (French).
– Kronenpapagei, Kronen-Papagei (German).
– Touit dilectissimus (Portuguese).
– Cotorrita Cariazul, Lorito de Alas Amarillas (Spanish).
– Periquito Alirrojo (Colombia).
– Churiquita (Venezuela).
– Periquito frentiazul (Ecuador).
– Order: Psittaciformes
– Family: Psittacidae
– Genus: Touit
– Scientific name: Touit dilectissimus
– Citation: (Sclater,PL & Salvin, 1871)
– Protonimo: Urochroma favorite
Blue-fronted Parrotlet (Touit dilectissimus)
- Parrots of the World – Forshaw Joseph M
- Parrots A Guide to the Parrots of the World – Tony Juniper & Mike Parr
- Parrots, Parrots and macaws Neotropical
(1) – One bird perched close to the nest by Manakin Nature Tours – lynx
- Sounds: (Xeno-canto)