23 to 26 cm.. height.
The Rose-faced Parrot (Pyrilia pulchra) be distinguished easily by your face and both sides of the neck purple red with black margin; crown and throat grayish coffee. General green olive in the back and beige in the belly. Wings with the part superior mixed with yellow or red orange and the rest green blue.
Stubby-looking and tail short. The immature have only have a line red on the eye and the ear While their cheeks are coffee Green.
- Sound of the Rose-faced Parrot.
The Rose-faced Parrot is a parrot little known, that is is commonly between 1,200 and 2,100 m above sea level, Although has been observed at altitudes as low as 200 m. It inhabits lowland and warm humid and semi-deciduous forests. According to the information available, is known that this Parrot is often feed is on the canopy of forests, Although visit disturbed areas and crops. Flying in pairs or groups of size variable up to of 25 or more.
The data on reproduction are scarce. However, they have observed individuals with gonads developed between November and February in the Chocó, in Colombia and Ecuador.
Its diet It is little known, but some observations indicate that includes in its feeding fruits of Oenocarpus bataua (Arecaceae) and other fruits from species wild and plants cultivated as banana and maize.
Tamaño del área de distribución (reproducción/residente): 195.000 km2
Are you can observe in freedom from the West of Colombia to the West of Ecuador.
• Current red list category of the UICN: Least concern.
• Population trend: Stable.
Justification of the population
The population size World has not been quantified, but this species is described as “some common and distributed unevenly” (Stotz et to the., 1996).
Justification of trend
It is suspected that the population is stable in absence of evidence of any decline or threatens substantial.
Not usually seen in aviculture. Extremely sensitive, has ever survived more than one couple of months in captivity.
- Rose-faced Parrot, Beautiful Parrot, Rose faced Parrot (inglés).
- Caïque à joues roses (francés).
- Rosenwangenpapagei, Rosenwangen-Papagei (alemán).
- Rose-faced Parrot (portugués).
- Cotorra Carirrosada, Lorito Carirrosado, Lorito de Cara Rosada (español).
- Orden: Psittaciformes
- Familia: Psittacidae
- Genus: Pyrilia
- Nombre científico: Pyrilia pulchra
- Citation: von Berlepsch, 1897
- Protónimo: Pionopsitta pulchra
Rose-faced Parrot (Pyrilia pulchra)
- Parrots of the World – Forshaw Joseph M
- Parrots A Guide to the Parrots of the World – Tony Juniper & Mike Parr
- Book parrots, Parrots and macaws Neotropical
- Rodriguez-Mahecha & Hernández-Camacho 2002
(1) – Photo © stolmstead Flickr.com
- Sounds: Andrew Spencer controles-canto.org