31–35 cm. length and 450-550 g. of weight.
The Diademed Parrot (Amazona Diadema) It is generally green, with black edges to feathers crown, to the mantle and the chest; crown green to nape; the back of the green neck, mauve margin; feathers of the cere and forecrown, red; yellow-green, less yellow in upper cheeks, up to the ear-coverts; secondaries red on the bases, the green rest; tail green; eye ring pale yellow; eyes oranges; bill dark grey.
- Sound of the Diademed Parrot.
Parrots in the world
Species of the genus Amazona
It is likely to frequent a variety of habitats from lowland forest species, including edges evergreen forest, as well as modified areas containing scattered trees or plantations (Del Hoyo et al., 1997, pit et to the., 2016).
They are in loose flocks or pairs, are gregarious When feed.
The laying is of 2-3 eggs. Breeding season, It is supposed to be in early: January-March.
It feeds mainly from fruits and seeds, even some cultivated species (Del Hoyo et al., 1997), although there are no published data (Del Hoyo et al., 2016).
Size of its range (breeding/resident): 71.800 km2
Conservation Amazona diadema:
Conservation status ⓘ
Endangered ⓘ (UICN)ⓘ
• Current red list category of the UICN: In danger of extinction.
• Population trend: Decreasing.
Justification of the red list category
- Based on a model of future deforestation on Amazon basin and susceptibility to this new species capture, it is suspected that its population will suffer a very fast along three generations descent from 2002, so it is in danger of extinction.
Justification of trend
- This species is expected to lose between 49 and 55% suitable habitat within its distribution throughout three generations (37 years) starting at 2002, based on a model of Amazon deforestation (Soares-Filho et to the). Given its susceptibility to capture, It is suspected that species decline by 50-79% during this time.
The Diademed Parrot in captivity:
Rare in aviculture.
Each captive specimen of this species which is capable of reproducing, It is placed in a program well managed captive breeding and not be sold as a pet, in order to ensure its long-term survival.
– Diademed Amazon, Diademed Parrot, Red-lored Parrot (Diademed) (English).
– Amazone à diadème, Amazone diadème, Amazone du Brésil (French).
– Diademamazone (German).
– Papagaio-diadema (Portuguese).
– Amazona diadema (Spanish).
Amazona scientific classification diadem:
– Order: Psittaciformes
– Family: Psittacidae
– Genus: Amazona
– Scientific name: Diademed Parrot
– Citation: (von Spix, 1824)
– Protonimo: Psittams diadema
Diademed Parrot images.:
- Parrots of the World – Forshaw Joseph M
- Parrots A Guide to the Parrots of the World – Tony Juniper & Mike Parr
- The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species(tm)
(1) – diadem parrot. Red lored parrot. 11 November 2015, Tikal, Guatemala by ze_da_binha
(2) – Diademed Parrot – amazon with diadem – Diademed amazon – amazon tiara By Florin Feneru from Orpington, UK (Diademed Parrot) [CC BY 2.0], via Wikimedia Commons
(3) – A Red-lored Amazon at Loro Parque, Cross port, Tenerife, Spain. This subspecies is also called the Diademed Amazon By Carlos Urdiales [CC BY-SA 2.0], via Wikimedia Commons
(4) – A Red-lored Amazon at Xcaret Eco Park, Riviera Maya, Mexico. Photographed as it started to rain By Tomasz Wagner from Burnaby, BC, Canada (Parrot – Amazona autumnalis) [CC BY-SA 2.0], via Wikimedia Commons
(5) – Diademed amazon (Diademed Parrot) Loro Parque, Tenerife by Florin Feneru – Flickr
(6) – PL. XXXI I Chrysolis diadema (î^wl By Blanchard, Emile; Bonaparte, Charles Lucian; Bourjot Saint-Hilaire, Alexandre; Le Vaillant, François; Souancé, Charles de. [CC BY 2.0 or Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
Sounds: GABRIEL MILK, XC119110. accessible www.xeno-canto.org/119110