The Seychelles Parakeet (Psittacula wardi) It was a medium-sized parrot with a length of about 41 cm. and a weight between 100 and 125 g..
It was green with a large bill red with yellow tips, a red stain on the shoulders and a long tail. The male had a narrow black band on the cheek and neck which they lacked black female and youth. blueness in nape and eyes yellow. the legs They were greyish
Phylogenetic studies suggest that this species away from the Alexandrine Parakeet (Psittacula eupatria).
In a report they were seen over the forest along a field maize.
They encuentraban probably in small groups or flocks, making striking flights. It was reported that the birds were cautious, presumably due to its constant pursuit.
It was a forest species, which probably it fed on fruit and seeds.
The Seychelles Parakeet It was endemic to Mahe and Silhouette, Seychelles, with a visual record of Praslin. A considerable number was found in 1811, But it was rare in 1867 and the last specimen was shot in Mahe by Abbott in 1893. It may have survived until the twentieth century (Skerrett y Disley 2011), although apparently he was already extinguished when Nicoll He visited the island 1906 (Lionnet 1984).
• Current red list category of the UICN: Extinct.
• Population trend: The last known individuals were shot dead in 1893.
Clearing forests for plantations and coconut hunting and capture (in particular, to protect maize crops) were the main causes of the disappearance of the species (Forshaw and Cooper 1989).
Recent records captive birds from the year 1883.
At present there are two specimens in museums Liverpool and New York City.
– Green Parakeet, Seychelles Alexandrine Parrot, Seychelles Parakeet, Seychelles Parrot (inglés).
– Perruche des Seychelles (francés).
– Seychellen-Edelsittich, Seychellensittich, Seychellen-Sittich (alemán).
– Periquito-das-seychelles (portugués).
– Cotorra de las Seychelles, Cotorra de los Seychelles, Cotorra de Seychelles (español).
– Order: Psittaciformes
– Family: Psittaculidae
– Genus: Psittacula
– Scientific name: Psittacula wardi
– Citation: (Newton, E, 1867)
– Protonimo: Palaeornis wardi
Seychelles Parakeet (Psittacula wardi)
(1) – Seychelles Parakeet (Psittacula wardi), depiction by John Gerrard Keulemans from ‘Extinct Birds’ by Lionel Walter Rothschild from the year 1907 by John Gerrard Keulemans [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons