13-14 cm.. height.
The Green-rumped Parrotlet (Forpus passerinus) is the psittacine smaller that can be found on the American continent. It is distinguished by being green, with a brighter green in the front, cheeks, lower part of the body and behind the neck; the rump bright green in the two sexes, wing with one Strip Turquoise Blue followed by another greenish-blue in males; belly lighter than the back, tail with yellow border.
Female with rump greenish-yellow and wings without blue. It is possible to have dyes more yellowish forehead.
- Sound of the Green-rumped Parrotlet.
It is found in dry forest, semi-open areas, crops, among others, until the 500 m. In flocks of more of 100 individuals. You can perform altitudinal migrations.
It nests in abandoned nests of woodpeckers or in other holes, from May to November.
Feed of seeds, including the of the grasses.
Size of the area of distribution (reproduction / resident): 1.060.000 km2
This is a very widespread and common. Are distributed in the northeast of Colombia, North of Venezuela, Guyanas to the northeast of Brazil, also in Curaçao, Trinidad and the West Indies.
• Current red list category of the UICN: Least concern.
• Population trend: Decreasing.
Justification of the population
The size of the world population It has not been quantified, but this species is described as “common” (Stotz et to the., 1996).
Justification of trend
It is suspected that this species has lost 19,2-21% of habitat within its distribution in three generations (12 years) based on a model of Amazon deforestation (Soares-Filho et to the., 2006, Bird et to the., 2011). Given the susceptibility of the species to hunt or capture, It is suspected that it will fall in <25% durante tres generaciones.
Cotorrita Culiverde in captivity:
It´s common bird cage. In captivity they are sweet and playful. It might be possessive with toys and people.
– vBlue-winged Parrotlet, Common Parrotlet, Green rumped Parrotlet, xGuiana Parrotlet, Guianan Parrotlet, Passerine Parrotlet (English).
– Toui été, Perruche-moineau de Guyane (French).
– Grünbürzel-Sperlingspapagei (German).
– tuim-santo, periquitinho, periquito-do-espírito-santo, periquito-santo, periquito-tabacú, periquito-vassoura (Portuguese).
– Catita Enana de Lomo Verde, Cotorrita Culiverde, Periquito Coliverde (Spanish).
– Periquito Coliverde (Colombia).
– Periquito Mastrantero (Venezuela).
– Order: Psittaciformes
– Family: Psittacidae
– Genus: Forpus
– Scientific name: Forpus passerinus
– Citation: (Linnaeus, 1758)
– Protonimo: Psittacus passerinus
Parrot images Culiverde:
Green-rumped Parrotlet (Forpus passerinus)
(1) – Forpus passerinus in Trinidad 2014, Caribbean By Jam.mohd (Own work) [CC BY-SA 4.0], via Wikimedia Commons
(2) – Photograph of pet Green-rumped Parrotlet (Forpus passerinus) By self (Own work) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
(3) – Green-rumped Parrotlet, (Forpus passerinus), a pair, male (right) and female (left), in Venezuela By kulyka on flickr (Flickr) [CC BY 2.0], via Wikimedia Commons
(4) – Periquito mastrantero [Green-rumped Parrotlet] (Forpus passerinus viridissimus) by Cristóbal Alvarado Minic – Flickr
(5) – Periquito mastrantero [Green-rumped Parrotlet] (Forpus passerinus viridissimus) by Cristóbal Alvarado Minic – Flickr
(6) – Blue-winged Parrotlet, adult male (above); Green-rumped Parrotlet, young(?) male (below) Joseph Smit [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
– Sounds: (Xeno-canto)