28 cm.. length and 130 g. of weight.
The Red-throated Parakeet (Psittacara rubritorquis) they have a plumage, in general, green, with yellow tones in the underparts; orange-red in the throat and on the front of the neck, with yellow-orange feathers scattered; variety of pens of color red orange scattered in the part low of them cheeks and both sides of the neck; Blue tint on primary coverts and vane outer of the flight feather; underwing-coverts brighter yellowish green; below, the flight feather yellow color without brightness.
The bill color horn. Bare area of the eye ring grayish brown. The irises orange.
The male and female are similar.
The immature with the throat red, absent in the cheeks and both sides of the neck. The irises brown.
- Sound of the Red-throated Parakeet.
The Red-throated Parakeet is located in altitudes that range between the 600 and 1.800 m, in a variety of wooded areas, Save the rainforest.
They can be observed in moist forests, Open with weeds and growing areas areas in Guatemala; forests of Pinus sp in Nicaragua.
Is in flocks outside the breeding season, and couples during courtship and nesting season. Larger congregations are produced when food is abundant.
The nesting takes place in tree cavities, cracks in rocks, holes from woodpeckers, holes in buildings or in arboreal termite mounds.
The breeding season is between the months of January and August and the laying tends to be of 3-4 eggs.
With feeds seed, nuts, berries and fruits. You can also feed on seeds and corn cultivated.
Sometimes, considered a pest to crops.
Tamaño del área de distribución (reproducción/residente): 139.000 km2
Distributed by the Eastern Highlands of Guatemala and El Salvador (apparently only a record) to the South by Honduras to the North of Nicaragua.
• Red list category of the UICN current: Least concern
• Population trend: Stable
The size of the world population It has not been quantified, but this species is described as “quite common” (Stotz et to the. 1996).
The population of Red-throated Parakeet suspected to be stable in the absence of evidence of any reduction or substantial threats.
Not threatened globally (least concern). CITES II
Pretty rare in captivity.
- Red-throated Parakeet, Green Parakeet (Red-throated), Red-throated Conure (inglés).
- Conure à gorge rouge, Perruche à gorge rouge (francés).
- Rotkehlsittich, Guatemalasittich (alemán).
- Periquito-de-papo-vermelho (portugués).
- Aratinga Gorgirroja, Aratinga gorjirroja, Perico Gorjirrojo, perico garganta roja, Periquito Hondureño (español).
- Perico Gorjirrojo (México).
- Orden: Psittaciformes
- Familia: Psittacidae
- Genus: Psittacara
- Nombre científico: Psittacara rubritorquis
- Citation: (Sclater, PL, 1887)
- Protónimo: Conurus rubritorquis
Red-throated Parakeet (Psittacara rubritorquis)
(1) – Red-throated Parakeet (Aratinga rubritorquis) also called Red-throated Conure at Macaw Mountain Bird Park and Nature Reserve, Copan, Honduras By Lauri Väin [CC BY 2.0], via Wikimedia Commons
(2) – A Red-throated Parakeet (also called Red-throated Conure) at Macaw Mountain Bird Park, Copan Ruinas, Honduras By Sarah and Jason (originally posted to Flickr as IMG_6987) [CC BY-SA 2.0], via Wikimedia Commons
(3) – Two Red-throated Parakeets at Kakegawa Kacho-en, Kakegawa, Shizuoka, Japan By Takashi Hososhima from Tokyo, Japan (Green with envyUploaded by snowmanradio) [CC BY-SA 2.0], via Wikimedia Commons
(4) – Psittacara rubritorquis by Psittaciformes .NL – pinterest
(5) – Psittacara rubritorquis by Bellas Aves de El Salvador
(6) – Conurus rubritorquis by Joseph Smit [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons