The Portuguese Podengo It is considered one of the oldest dogs breeds, that has its origins in the Phoenicians, cultural matrix of which descend the Portuguese. It is a native breed of Portugal, with great skills for hunting, but also surveillance, It is commonly used on farms to alert of the presence of intruders.
The great family of the hound race, specialists in the topic raised it was in Portugal where most subjected to crossing and as a result, branched lineage. Within their ancestors argue that perhaps the closest the Ibizan Hound, and various types of dogs of traces of lived (They inhabit) throughout the Mediterranean area. Like all hound dogs, History shows that they are represented in Egyptian paintings of thousands of years ago.
According to the size, There are three varieties of Portuguese Hound, Large, Small and medium, being each variety, products of the different crossing, over time.
It is believed that the great variety has emerged the variety of Portuguese Podengo small and medium, the ancestor of the Grande variety is the Pharaoh Hound It stretched from North Africa to the Iberian Peninsula. Although other authors raise that it is possible that the hound descends from the small Iberian wolves. Still controversia…
While one theory States that the Portuguese Podengo medium emerges, different dog hound natives of North Africa, the most widely accepted theory is that this variety, directly descended from the Portuguese Podengo Grande.
The small Portuguese Hound, sometimes described as a Chihuahua heavier (There is no kinship between these two races), often collaborate in the tasks of hunting with their larger peers, This dog is put in the burrow of the rabbits and scare them so they come out and they are hunted by his fellow Pack.
In the North of Portugal it is today still used for hunting rabbits and small varmints. Hunting Pack or only. While the rest of the country you can see this dog, its popularity lies in the North of the same.
As specified above, According to the size, There are three varieties of Portuguese Hound, Large, Medium- and Small:
- Portuguese Podengo Grande: It is a very rare variety and is in danger of extinction, especially the smooth variety. Often used in packs to hunt large prey such as deer or wild boar. It is the only Portuguese breed used for hunting wild boar. His cloak can be short and smooth (less common, at the brink of extinction) or rough and long.
- Portuguese Podengo Medio: It is the fastest of the three varieties, excellent Hunter of rabbits and hares. You can hunt in Pack or solo. Like the great Portuguese Hound, their coats can be smooth or rough and short and long. This is the most common of the three varieties, and the greatest concentration of these dogs is located in the North of Portugal.
- Portuguese Podengo Pequeno: Like his brother medium is an excellent Hunter of rabbits and hares. Responsible for getting into the Burrows (Thanks to its size and agility) to scare the dam and its Pack mates give hunting. The small Portuguese Podengo coat is short and smooth, only.
The varieties in the fur are related to the inclement weather and adaptation to the same, the smooth variety is more common in the North of Portugal, characterized by being a wet area, This soft and smooth coat is necessary because it is dried more easily after wet.
The variety of hair bristles found in drier areas, where the layer of hair has the function of protecting the dog from the rays of the Sun and the cold climate in winter. Nature is sabia…
The hair short or long, thick medium and bright. In dogs with long hair and rough, the hairs of the snout are long (Beard). The predominant colors are yellow and the fawn (with its varieties of color clear, to very dark), and diluted or matte black; unicolores with or without white spots or white spotting.
Their life expectancy is around the 12 or 14 years, and it is a race that is rarely seen outside Portugal.
In general, is a medium-sized dog, well proportioned, muscular with good bone structure. It has long, narrow head, with moderately wide skull and the pointed snout.
The ears, large and triangular, they are carried erect. It has eyes expressive and little bulging in orbits, color honey or brown, According to the color of the fur.
The pigmentation of eyelids is darker that the of the fur. The body is quite long, with ribs moderately arched.
The tail, is strong and pointed, long and medium length, It is held horizontal or slightly arched in activity.
Character and skills
The Portuguese Podengo, It is their three varieties has a cheerful character, intelligent and very sociable with other dogs. They are extremely affectionate with their owners, especially with the children.
They are very shy with strangers, always alert and constant surveillance of their territory, that makes them good guard dogs, Although, It lacks the aggressiveness which may show a watchdog or defence.
Unfortunately, the Portuguese Podengo It is one of the canine breeds that are found today in danger of extinction, even in Portugal. It is not easy to see them out of Portugal.
Images Portuguese Podengo
Videos Portuguese Podengo
Type and recognitions:
- CLASSIFICATION FCI: 94
- Group 5: Spitz and primitive types.
- Section 7: Primitive type – Hunting Dogs. Without working trial.
- – FCI – Group 5: Dogs type Spitz and primitive type – Section 7: Primitive type - Hunting Dogs. ⓘ
FCI standard of the Portuguese Podenco breed
|Podenco Portugués FCI|
1. Portuguese Warren Hound (English).
2. Podengo portugais, Lévrier portugais (French).
3. Podengo Português (German).
4. Cão-coelheiro (Portuguese).
5. Podengo português (Spanish).