The Samoyed It has taken its name from the nomadic peoples of reindeer herders who raised this breed to help with grazing, pull sleds and to keep their owners warm on cold nights sleeping on your side.
The race, years. At that time, It owes its name to an indigenous people (with approximately 41.000 Member) a native of North-East of the European part of Russia and in the Northwest of Siberia. A tribe which is called Nenets because most of their representatives living in the autonomous district of Nenets, but formerly to this population are called "Samoyeds". They were traditionally (and in part still) reindeer herders, fishermen and hunters.
Because, This "Samoyeds tribe" of naturally selected in its purest form to these beautiful hairy in the great North (his extensive native land).
The origins of the Samoyed are remote and common to all the other dog breeds dedicated drag sleds.
In the first steps of this breed of dog dominant and original color was black. The white color that characterizes today is a product of modern farming started in parallel in United States and England.
These countries, to develop the breed, they departed from two canine varieties bred in the aforementioned tribe: the Ursino and the Lobuno.
After a sea of controversy and doubts the maternity of the race was attributed to England, Although it is considered that it originates from Russia in the North and Siberia, with the sponsorship of the Nordic Kennel Union.
And 1894 they brought to England the first copies of Ursino and Lobuno dogs. Point from which began breeding Samoyeds. The breed was officially recognized in the year 1913.
Males tend to have more size females usually weigh between 20 and 32,5 kg, while females usually weigh between 17 and 25 kg.
The eyes samoyeds are usually black or brown, and slanting. The nose or truffle must be well developed and preferably black. At some times of the year you can clarify giving rise to the commonly call “nose in winter”. Some other factors such as age or climate can clarify it, but it is important to always keep the edges of black. On the contrary it would mean a veterinary visit.
The ears they should be thick and completely covered with hair, form triangular, and upright. In most cases they are white, but occasionally they can be Brown clear (known as color “cookie”).
The tail the samoyed is one of the traits most distinctive of this breed. As the Alaskan Malamute, the tail hanging hook-shaped on his back; However, and unlike the Malamute, the Samoyed tail touches the back and tilts, slightly, on one side and must not be a very closed hook or in the form of “flag”.
In cold climates, some Samoyed sleep with their tails on the nose to provide additional protection. The majority of the Samoyed, They allow the tail to fall when they are relaxed, but they back to its original position when they are alert.
The Samoyed, they have a dense double coat of hair. The top layer has a dense, straight and thick hair, It seems the white but it has some dyes of silver. This top layer keeps the Undercoat relatively clean and free of debris. The bottom layer is a soft, dense and short hair that keeps the dog warm.
The bottom layer is changed from one to two times a year, process known as shedding of hair. This in no way means that they move hair only on these occasions, year-round fine hair it is moved and replaced, which - usually- sticking it on your clothes or simply air fleet.
The standard Samoyed may have a mixture of color White and biscuit, Although dogs completely white or completely color cookie are not rare. Males are generally longer than females fur.
The Samoyed, they are good to aseando themselves, not too many baths still needed. Dirt typically falls easily from the outer layers of hair, making the dog show clean.
The hair of the puppies is more porous, so it is easier to you manche with the grass and mud if they are long time outdoors. The aspect of brushing is more difficult, that by their thick fur in some areas like the back of the ears tend to tangle is if not brushes weekly.
The Samoyed will require that, cut the hair that grows between their feet bearing, but with this exception the rest can stay so, course.
Except for reasons medical or hair is extremely entangled, It is not recommended that the Samoyed is shaved, If your hair acts as both the cold and moderate heat insulation, In addition to that protects the skin of the Samoyed Burns by the rays of the Sun.
An important feature of this breed is hardly to present the characteristic odor to dog, making them good dogs live indoors. The lack of dander, also, makes them hypoallergenic.
The thick layer of hair can make you feel uncomfortable in the summer in locations where the climate is warm, where prefer the Interior because the air is colder. The coat also acts as a natural repellent against lice and ticks.
When moving the hair, most of the outer layer falls and is replaced, the old man can fall into large bundles, leaving hollow spaces in extreme cases. You can brush the hair, with a metal comb, so we can accelerate the process of molting and help the Samoyed to regain its appearance more quickly. Brushing frequently help him is not enrede.
Take a bath to the Samoyed is a long process, because the hair is almost "water proof", so it will take time that is completely wet and then completely wet. Samoyed hair should be dry with forced and cold air (using a hair dryer), because the water can become trapped in the bottom layer of hair thick making it difficult to evaporate.
It is important that you rinse well, Since shampoo or SOAP remnant can lead to infection by fungi, difficult removal without having to shave the affected area. To keep the hair of the radiant Samoyed, brushing and a healthy diet may not be disparaged.
DATE OF PUBLICATION OF THE ORIGINAL VALID STANDARD: 22/07/1997
HEAD: Powerful and wedge.
- Skull: Seen from the front and only slightly convex profile. It is wider between the ears. The furrow between the eyes is slightly marked.
- Stop: Clearly defined, but not too pronounced.
- Truffle: Well developed, Black preferred. During some periods of the year can clarify the pigment on the nose, giving rise to the commonly called 'winter nose'; However, There should always be pigment at the edges of the nose.
- Snout: Strong and deep, about as long as the skull, slimming gradually towards the truffle; It is not sharp or heavy or square.
- Nose cane: Straight.
- Lips: Tight, black and packed. The corner of the mouth is slightly curved upwards, forming the characteristic «Samoyed smile».
- JAWS / Teeth: Regular and complete scissor bite. The teeth and jaws are strong. Normal teeth.
- Eyes: Dark brown color, rather than separate and properly positioned in orbits, slightly oblique and almond way. The expression is «smiling», friendly, alert and intelligent. The eyelids are black.
- Ears: Erect, relatively small, thick, triangular, slightly rounded at the tips. They should be moving, Insert well separated because the skull is broad and high.
NECK: Strong and medium length, arrogant postage.
BODY: Slightly longer than the height of the cross, deep and compact, but flexible.
- Cross: Well marked.
- Back: Of average length, muscular and straight; the female is slightly longer in males.
- Pork loin: Short, very strong and defined.
- Rump: Full, strong, muscular and slightly sloping.
- Chest: Broad, deep and long, reaching almost to the elbows. Well arched ribs.
- Bottom line: Moderately retracted.
TAIL: Relatively high insertion. When is the dog alert or moving, the tail is carried folded forward root on your back or side; When it is at rest performs hanging it and reaches up to the joint warm-foot.
- As a whole: Well placed and muscular, with strong bones. Seen from the front are straight and parallel.
- Shoulder: Long, firm and oblique.
- Arm: Oblique and glued to the body. About as long as the shoulder.
- Elbow: Close to the body.
- Carpus: Strong but flexible.
- Metacarpus: Slightly inclined.
- Previous feet: Oval, with long toes, flexible and straight forward facing. Fingers are arched and are not too United. Elastic pads.
- As a whole: Seen from the back, they are straight and parallel with very strong muscles.
- Thigh: Medium length, relatively wide and muscular.
- Knee: Well angled.
- Warm-foot joint: Positioned relatively low and well angled.
- Metatarsus: Short, strong, vertical and parallel.
- Back feet: Similar to the previous. The Spurs should be removed.
MOVEMENT: You must give the impression of being powerful, free and tireless with long steps. Good range in the forelimbs and good momentum in the hind.
HAIR: Polar hair, thick, dense and flexible. The Samoyed has a double layer of hair; the inner layer is made up of short hair, smooth and dense, the outer layer for longer hair, straight and rough. The coat should form a collar around the neck and shoulders, surrounding the head, especially in males. On the head and the front part of the members, the hair is short and smooth; on the outside of the ears, the hair is short, soft and separate. The inside of the ears should be well covered with hair. In the back of the thighs, hair forms trousers. Must have protective hair between fingers. The queue must be extensively covered hair. The coat of the females is often shorter and softer than the male texture. The correct coat should always have a special brightness.
COLOR: Pure white, cream or white with color cake (the basic color should be white, with some brands color sponge cake). Never give the impression of being pale brown.
Height of the cross (Ideal height):
- Males 57 cm., with a tolerance of ± 3 cm..
- Females 53 cm., with a tolerance of ± 3 cm..
FAULTS: Any deviation from the above criteria is considered missing and the seriousness is considered the degree of deviation to the standard and its impact on the health and welfare of the dog.
- Notable failures of body structure.
- Light bone.
- Males who are not male and females that are not feminine.
- Bitefork clamp.
- Yellow eyes.
- Soft ears.
- Ribs abarriladas.
- Double hook tail.
- Short members.
- In Coop or cow hocks.
- Wavy or short coat on the entire body, long hair, soft and drooping.
- Quiet dog.
- Areas notably depigmented on eyelids and lips.
- Aggressive or fearful dog.
- Eyes blue or different colors.
- Upper or lower prognathism.
- Not erect ears.
- Color of the fur other than as described in the standard.
- Any dog showing clear physical abnormalities or behavioral signs shall be disqualified.
N.B.: Los machos deben tener dos apariencia testiculos normal completamente descendidos en el escroto.
TRANSLATION: Federation Canófila Mexicana, BC.
The provision of play the Samoyed does a not recommended dog as guardian; an aggressive Samoyed is rare. However, with their tendency to bark can be dog watches diligently, barking when something or someone approaches their territory.
The Samoyed, they are one excellent company, especially for small children or even other dogs, remaining also playful until advanced age. The Samoyed, also, they are known to be somewhat fools sometimes difficult to train due to their lack of diligence and not for lack of intelligence, so it must be persuaded obey orders which are given.
His inheritance by pulling sleds, the Samoyed, has no problems to pull objects, and a Samoyed that has not been trained has no problems drag its owner with the wrist strap when you get to ride instead of walk at your side.
Instinctively act as herding dogs, so when playing, especially with children, they tend to try to guide them.
The breed is characterized by its expression alert and smiling, What has earned him the nickname of “Samoyed smile” o “smiling dog“. They have great vitality, which is why, well care retain her youth and that youthful spirit until his old age. Their average lifespan is of 12 to 18 years, Although some can live a little longer.
As a working breed, they have an excellent resistance and without daily exercise, they become bored and/or depressed they, that can lead to it barking excessively, destroyed or have a worthy of a master of escape behavior. While they are healthy dogs they have tendency to certain diseases.
- Otros nombres: Самоедская собака / Sobaka Samojedskaja / Samojedenhund / Samojedenspitz / Bjelkier / Samoiedskaya Sobaka / Nenetskaya Laika.
- Group 5 / Section 1 – Nordic sled dogs.
Dogs breeds: Samoyed