The Gascon Saintongeois he is a strong sporting dog, confident and robust that was invented in France in the mid-19th century. His sweet and good-natured character makes him an excellent family dog â€‹â€‹that is very careful when interacting with young children.. Today the breed remains unpopular even in its native country., so it can disappear completely in a matter of several decades.
Gascon Saintongeois History
In the mid-19th century, Carayon-Lantour Joseph Earl wanted to regenerate the dog breed of Saintonge, weakened as a result of the French Revolution (they only survived 3 These copies) and united the last descendants with Blue Gascony dogs owned by the Baron de Ruble. Thus was created the Gascon Saintongeois, but that creation, caused the disappearance of Saintonge's dog.
This breed of dog, It was developed, in its origins, mainly for hunting, greater and hares.
Physical characteristics Gascón Saintongeois
It is a very well established dog, It conveys an image of strong dog, but elegant at the same time. Their fur is short and dense, white background, with black spots; It may be mottled, but slightly. They usually have two black spots on each side of the head covering the ears, surrounding the eyes and cheeks-reach. The cheeks are color fire, but soft (as clay). They have, also two spots in that color, on top of the eyes, What gives them the appearance of having four eyes.
There is also the Petite Gascon Saintongeois, that shares the characteristics of Gascon Saintongeois, but its dimensions are smaller (measured 54 and 62 height cm). It is also a versatile Hunter, but above all of hares, but also, used to be used for hunting big game.
Gascon Saintongeois character and skills
The Gascon Saintongeois, is a pack dog, from its origins, has a highly developed sense of smell, is bold, and has a nice bark.
It can become the ultimate companion to any hunter, but it also has all the essential qualities to play the role of a family dog. It has a peaceful and adaptable nature and normally perceives its owners as members of its pack.. Early and thorough socialization is necessary if you want your pet to be tolerant of children in the family and other animals in the house.. The breed is usually very gentle with young children although it is large enough to knock a young child down in the heat of play..
Human aggressiveness can become a serious problem if your Gascon Saintongeois not adequately displayed to people of all ages from a young age. But, this dog is commonly courteous to house guests and resorts to violence only in an extreme case. Thanks to his unsurpassed vigilance and deep sonorous voice, he is an excellent watchdog.. In general, this dog has no desire to defend his territory, so it cannot be considered a good guardian.
The Gascon Saintongeois welcomes any opportunity to communicate with peers and, in fact, prefers to live in a large canine group. But, may be ill-disposed towards unfamiliar homeless canines and the owner should take this character trait of his pet into account and keep him on a leash in public places. The breed is not compatible with other types of pets due to its powerful hunting instinct. But she is usually friendly with the individual cats she has been raised with from a young age as a puppy..
Gascon Saintongeois Toilet and Care
The toilet of the Gascon Saintongeois requires a minimum of effort. His short self-cleaning coat should be brushed regularly but infrequently (only once a week). This procedure will effectively remove loose hair and reinforce the natural shine of the dog's coat.. This breed only needs an occasional bath.
Since this bloodhound is predisposed to ear infections, the caregiver should periodically examine their ears and clean them if necessary. Trim your pet's nails at least once every two months and clean their teeth weekly.
Gascon Saintongeois Education and Training
The Gascon Saintongeois It is an obedient and intelligent dog whose training is usually a piece of cake. Learns basic tricks with a reasonable amount of repetitions and succeeds in agility and obedience tests. Keep in mind that his character is stubborn and will ignore the orders of a shy person.
It also, the breed is irresponsible to negative training methods and reacts appropriately only to food incentives and kind words. Like any hound, tends to distract from the learning process by attracting smells, so be lenient with your pet's behavior.
Gascón Saintongeois Exercise
The Gascon Saintongeois is notable for both its incredulous stamina and great power, so you need a lot of physical activity. This large dog is not appropriate to be kept in an apartment where there is no room to play. At the same time it is strong enough to become a wonderful companion for runners or even cyclists..
Your pet should have the daily opportunity to run unrestricted in a well fenced yard, otherwise you may become hyperactive and totally undisciplined on the inside. Without a lot of vigorous daily exercise, the Gascon Saintongeois it can also develop into an unreasonable barking habit.
Videos "Gascon Saintongeois"
Gascon Saintongeois – Dog breeds
Type and recognitions:
- FCI CLASSIFICATION: 21
- Group 6: Scent hounds, and related breeds
- Section 1.1: Large-sized Hounds. With proof of work..
- – FCI – Group 6: Scent hounds, and related breeds. – Section 1.1: Large-sized Hounds. ⓘ
- – Central Canine Society ⓘ
FCI breed standard "Gascon Saintongeois"
Gran Gascon Saintongeois: Used for rifle hunting and sometimes for small game, big game and also hare. It is generally used in a pack or alone, as a tracker. Pequeño Gascon Saintongeois: Multi-purpose dog used for rifle hunting. Because of its origin it hunts especially the hare, but it is also very good for hunting big game.
Gedge: Very well built dog, which gives at the same time an impression of strength and elegance. He is of a very French type when it comes to the head, fur and expression.
Psmall: Medium-sized dog, well proportioned and distinguished.
Height at withers/scapulo-ischial length in a ratio of 10/10.5 The length of the muzzle is equal to the skull.
Pack dog par excellence, up to the sense of smell, bold, gifted with a beautiful voice. He joins the pack by instinct. It's calm, affectionate and obeys orders easily.
Head: The lines of the skull and the nasal passage are divergent.
- Craging: Seen from the front, It is arched and rather narrow; the occipital protuberance is well marked. Seen from above, the back has a pronounced ogival shape.
- Dnaso-frontal depression: Little pointed.
- Trufa: black, well developed, the windows wide open.
- Labios: They cover the lower jaw, the corner is discreet. The edge of the lips is black.
- Cnasal year: Powerful, slightly arched.
- Jaws: Scissor joint. The incisors are at right angles to the jaws..
- Cheeks: Thin.
OJOS: Oval, browns. The edge of the eyelids is black. The expression is sweet and confident.
OREJAS: Fine, bent. They must reach at least the end of the truffle. They occur below the eye line, quite far back, leaving the skull very clear.
Neck: Of medium length and thickness. It is slightly arched and has little dewlap.
- lynand the top: It is firm and not excessively long.
- Lomo: It is well attached to the body. It is slightly convex, quite muscular and not too long.
- Glikeness: Slightly oblique, wide enough.
- Pecho: Large, long, descends to the level of the elbows. The front part of the chest is quite open.
- Costillas: Slightly rounded and long.
- Flank: It's a little raised.
Tail: It is thick at the base; very thin at its end. Reaches to the tip of the hock. The elegant bearing, Sabre-shaped.
- Ageneral appearance: The previous room is powerful.
- Hshoulder: Rather long, muscular, moderately oblique.
- Elbow: Well adhered to the body.
- Aforearm: Strong bones.
- Pinis previous: Slightly elongated oval shape. The fingers are thin and close together. The foot pads and nails are black.
- Ageneral appearance: The hindquarters are well proportioned.Thighs: Long and well muscled.
- Corvejón: Width, well angled. Well inclined, visibly directed towards the axis of the body.
- Pinis later: Slightly elongated oval shape. The fingers are thin and close together. The foot pads and nails are black.
Movement: Uniform and loose.
PIEL: Stretchy and not too thick. It is white with black spots.
Plink: Short and dense.
Codor: The background is white, with black spots; sometimes it is speckled, although not in excess. Two black spots are usually present on each side of the head.; cover the ears, surrounding the eyes and cheeks-reach. The cheeks are color fire, preferably pale. Two fire-colored brands, located on the top of the eyebrows, They simulate “four eyes”. They are also observed, tan traces on the inner surface of the ear and specks along the extremities. Some tawny hairs may appear on the top of the ear, without this giving the head a tricolor appearance. Sometimes a typical dead leaf spot is observed on the lower part of the thigh., known as “roe deer mark”.
Size and weight:
Altura to the cross:
|Gedge:||Males:||65 to 72 cm..|
|Hblaze:||62 to 68 cm..|
|Psmall:||Males:||56 to 62 cm..|
|Hblaze:||54 to 59 cm..|
With a tolerance of approximately 1 cm..
Any deviation from the aforementioned criteria is considered as a fault and the severity of this is considered to the degree of the deviation to the standard and its consequences on the health and well-being of the dog..
Cthey are not coming:
- Wide skull.
- Short ears; ears that stand high.
- Total absence of fire color.
- Absence of volume
- Sagging top margin.
- sunken croup.
- Deviated tail.
- Bone structure that is not sufficiently developed
- Shoulders that are too oblique or too straight.
- crushed feet.
- Straight posterior angulation.
- closed hock, seen from behind.
- Aggressiveness or extreme shyness.
- Any dog showing clear signs of physical or behavioral abnormalities.
- Lack of type, and in particular wide and round skull.
- Upper or lower prognathism.
- Clear eyes
- Any other layer other than that established in the standard.
- Males should have two normal-appearing testicles fully descended into the scrotum..
- Only functionally and clinically healthy dogs, with the typical conformation of the breed, should be used for parenting.
1. Grand Gascon Saintongeois (English).
2. Gascon de Saintonge, Grand gascon saintongeois (French).
3. Grand Gascon Saintongeois (German).
4. Gascon Saintongeois (Portuguese).
5. Gascon Saintongeois (español).