The Hound It responds to a group of dogs that make up a race whose physical Constitution makes them be gifted to the race, which can reach a high speed. They are mostly taller than long, they have long, narrow head and ears in pink or semierectas. And detail to highlight mode, they have a great sense of sight unlike most breeds of dog. Often used for hunting in packs and the rabbit and Hare hunting.
In Spain are also known as greyhounds because that is the name given to the national hound and by extension all those races that possess similar characteristics, are referred to as Greyhound.
The Federation Cynologique Internationale It classifies the different varieties of the breed hound in Group X, and at the same time, This group is divided in:
- Section 1: where are the dogs of breed Hound of hair long or Ondulado.
- Section 2: where are included to the Hound of wire-haired dogs.
- Section 3: where are dogs of breed of Shorthaired Hound.
Here we offer each section of the X group, with its respective members, and brief overview that may extend to following the link to each of the races.
Section 1: Sighthound hair long or Ondulado.
- Afghan Hound: also known as Greyhound Afghan, Afghan Hound, Balkh Hound, Baluchi Hound, Barutzy Hound, Shalgar Hound, Kabul Hound or Galanday Hound is a dog from Afghanistan. It has a distinctive coat, very long, fine and silky, It needs continuous care that he entangled, arriving at losing their gloss.
- Saluki: known as the Royal Egypt dog, It is perhaps the oldest known breed of domesticated dog and the oldest in the venátici, It is believed descended from wolves in the wilderness of Ara. The Bedouin are highly valued and use them for hunting gazelles and as pets.
- Russian Hound: or Borzoi, It is a breed of dog developed in Russia. Descended from the Arabic Greyhound being similar to a Russian ovejero dog. Formerly known as Russian Greyhound, It was originally bred to hunt wolves and hares. It is graceful, strong and fast.
Section 2: Sighthound hair hard.
- Irish Hound: or Irish Wolfhound is the largest breed of dog that exists; adults reach an average height of between 95 and 100 cm to the cross. Known since the year 395, they are descended from the venátici used by the Celts of Ireland for the hunting of the Wolf, Deer, and other large dams.
- Scottish Hound: or Deerhound, It is a traditional dog belonging to the Scottish Highlands, It also appears in the old portraits, sleeping at the foot of great lords. When became fashionable with shotgun deer hunting, This race was on the verge of extinction.
Section 3: Sighthound of short hair.
- Spanish Greyhound: The Greyhound is a breed of dog indigenous Spain, so it is also known as Greyhound Spanish. According to the Royal Academy of the Spanish language, the word derives from the Latin Gallĭcus Canis, dog of the Gaul.
- English Hound: Greyhound is a breed of dog that is used mainly as animal of company and competition. It is the ancestor of most of the venátici. They are skilled to run, but not to carry out extensive exercise.
- Whippet: It is a breed of dog of British origin, slender and elegant porte. They are active and playful dogs, physically similar to the English Greyhound. Its popularity has led to use the Whippet name on a large number of things, from cars to cookies.
- Italian Hound: or Italian Greyhound is perfectly adapted to small households. However you need to walk. Company in short races can do but prefers the walks and play with other dogs (better if they are not great).
- Azawakh: or African Greyhound is a breed of dog Lebrel type, originating in Africa. It is also known by other names: Hanshee, Oska, Rawondu, Bareeru, Wulo, Tuareg Sloughi.
- Sloughi: Arab Hound, Berber Greyhound or Sloughi Moghrebi is originally from North Africa. It is in Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia and Libya. The Sloughi is closely related to the Azawakh.
- Polish Hound: Chart Polski or Polish Greyhound, It is a breed of dog lebrel of Polish origin, as its name suggests. It originated in Poland, and enter their ancestors are some Asian Hound, a Saluki type dog. According to current theories they don't have as ancestor English Hound.
And remembering, Digest, not to forget and act: Spain is the only country in the European Union in which still allows hunting with greyhounds and hunters kill about 50.000 Greyhounds or Sighthound per year, injections of bleach, hanging or burned alive, as economic methods of murder.