The Sighthound responds to a group of dogs that make up a breed whose physical constitution makes them very well equipped for the race, which can reach a high speed. They are mostly taller than long, they have long, narrow head and ears in pink or semierectas. And detail to highlight mode, they possess a great sense of sight unlike most dog breeds. They are usually used for hunting big game in packs and for rabbit and hare hunting..
In Spain they are also known as Greyhounds since that is the name given to the National Greyhound and by extension all those breeds that have similar characteristics., are referred to as Greyhound.
The Federation Cynologique Internationale It classifies the different varieties of the breed hound in Group X, and at the same time, This group is divided in:
- Section 1: where the dogs are included Long-haired or fringed Sighthounds.
- Section 2: where the dogs are included Rough-haired Sighthounds.
- Section 3: where are included Short-haired Sighthounds.
Here we offer each section of the X group, with its respective members, and brief overview that may extend to following the link to each of the races.
Section 1: Long-haired or fringed Sighthounds.
- Afghan hound: also known as Afghan greyhound, Afghan Hound, Balkh Hound, Baluchi Hound, Barutzy Hound, Shalgar Hound, Kabul Hound o Galanday Hound It is a dog from Afghanistan. It has a characteristic coat, very long, fine and silky, It needs continuous care that he entangled, arriving at losing their gloss.
- Saluki: known as the Royal Egypt dog, It is perhaps the oldest known breed of domesticated dog and the oldest in the venátici, It is believed descended from wolves in the wilderness of Ara. The Bedouins hold them in high esteem and use them for hunting gazelles and as pets..
- Russian Wolfhound: or Borzoi, It is a breed of dog developed in Russia. It descends from the Arabian Greyhound being similar to a Russian sheepdog. Formerly known as Russian Wolfhound, It was originally bred to hunt wolves and hares. It is graceful, strong and fast.
Section 2: Rough-haired Sighthounds.
- Irish wolfhound: or Irish Wolfhound is the largest breed of dog that exists; adults reach an average height of between 95 and 100 cm to the cross. Known since the year 395, descended from the hounds used by the Celts of Ireland to hunt the wolf, deer, and other large dams.
- Deerhound: or Deerhound, It is a traditional dog belonging to the Scottish Highlands, It also appears in the old portraits, sleeping at the foot of great lords. When became fashionable with shotgun deer hunting, This race was on the verge of extinction.
Section 3: Short-haired Sighthounds.
- Spanish greyhound: The Greyhound is a breed of dog indigenous Spain, so it is also known as Spanish Greyhound. According to the Royal Academy of the Spanish Language, the word derives from Latin Gallĭcus Canis, dog of the Gaul.
- english greyhound: It is a breed of dog that is used mainly as a companion and competition animal.. It is the ancestor of most sighthounds. They are skilled to run, but not to carry out extensive exercise.
- Whippet: It is a breed of dog of British origin, slender and elegant porte. They are active and playful dogs, physically similar to the English Greyhound. Its popularity has led to the use of the name Whippet in a large number of things, from cars to cookies.
- Italian Lebrel: or Italian Greyhound is perfectly adapted to small households. However you need to walk. He can keep company in short runs but prefers walks and playing with other dogs (better if they are not great).
- Azawakh: o African Greyhound is a breed of Greyhound type dog, native to africa. It is also known by other names: Hanshee, Oska, Rawondu, Bareeru, Wulo, Tuareg Sloughi.
- Sloughi: Arabian Greyhound, Berber Greyhound or Sloughi Moghrebi is native to North Africa. It is in Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia and Libya. The Sloughi is closely related to the Azawakh.
- Polish Greyhound: It is a breed of dog lebrel of Polish origin, as the name reflects. It originated in Poland, and among their ancestors we find some Asiatic Greyhound, a dog type Saluki. According to current theories, they do not have the english greyhound.
And remembering, Digest, not to forget and act: Spain is the only country in the European Union where hunting with greyhounds is still allowed and hunters kill around 50.000 Greyhounds or Sighthound per year, with bleach injections, hanging or burned alive, as economic methods of murder.