Alano Spanish history
aza breed of dog or gripping prey ancient origins. Medium sized considered breed of Spain. When mixed other races are created as the Bull Dog in Spain, the alano of vautre (grip) in France, the old bulldog in England, the extinct Bullenbeiser in Germany, or own Argentine Dogo.
Molosser light dam and corridor. The traditional functionality It is the handling of cattle bravo and semibravo, Iberian trunk, extensive system. big game was also used, as a dog's tooth to the subjection of deer and wild boar. Its modern implementation is care and defence, How to care for cattle against any kind of predator.
Some authors consider Spanish Alano desciendiente the old dog named Alaunt, Alans used by both war and for handling cattle.
The existence of Alans dogs Spain dates back several centuries ago, Although it is not clear which was its origin. Some believe that this race was extended by moloso Europe by the Mastiff in the fourth century and was taken to the Iberian Peninsula and to the North Africa by the Vandals.
In 1350 publishes the rey Alfonso XI their “Book of the Monteria”. In the fifteenth century it is published “Treaty of the Monteria”, anonymous, which performs a deep somatic description of the dog.
When he is talking about perro Dane everyone knew that this was a prey corridor to justify its name must meet certain features:
With strong head, of longuilíneas proportions, high rump and good bones. Also your character It was clearly defined by its function gripping dog. “No taking by hunger or award, but by right nature gave Dios” (we call it today prey).
Of which there is no doubt is that these dogs were very extended, as evidenced by his appearance in paintings. There is a Mastiff that plasma Velázquez in the hunting pit, which it is in the National Gallery de Londres, those of Goya in his Capturing a bull or an engraving of the French Romantic Blanchard. They are also appointed by Cervantes and Lope de Vega Alans of Thirds.
It is believed, According to the most likely hypothesis, they reached the Iberian Peninsula, accompanying the Alano people, shortly after the fall of Roman empire, about him V century. The Mastiff used primarily for war, hunting and animal husbandry, They were robust and primitive specimens. Later, its unbeatable psychophysical qualities (robustness, courage and loyalty) They make the Alano notabilísimo play a role as a member of the Spanish armies, especially during the conquest of the Americas.
The first written references to the Alano They appear in the Medievo, Hand Gonzalo de Berceo, in 1247.
More complete data are in 1347, in the Book of Hunting, Don Alfonso XI "The Enforcer". Other mentions of importance on Alano, worthy of mention occurs in Utrera in 1603, by Fray Francisco de Tamayo.
In the conquest of New world They played a key role dogs, animal unknown to the indigenous peoples. These, coupled with the horses, armor and arquebuses contributed to the victory.
They were the terror of the natives, Thus the stories of the time not directed impressive descriptions as the following:
- The Friar Bernardino de Sahagún terms of testimonies of Indians attacked by huge ¨perros, with ears cut, fierce yellow eyes Bloodshot, huge mouths, hanging languages and teeth in the form of knives, wild as the demon and stained as the jaguares¨. The description has an inevitable tone of admiration and fear; Let us not forget that in pre-Columbian times (before the arrival of the conquistadors) the Indians possessed dogs small size and often body. In this way, the Indians called the canes of the Spanish ¨una diabolical invention.
- Bartholomew Columbus and Fontanarossa, brother of the discoverer and Adelantado Governor of Hispaniola, they say the Chronicles employed 200 men, 20 horses and 20 Alans, It was the "debut" of the Alans in the conquest of America.
The Spanish Alaunt It is supported primarily by its huge courage, with special mention when dealing with wild boar, disregarding even his own life. Its functions have changed little during these centuries. War Dog, livestock (especially for the beef and veal), hunting and nursery. It is in the eighteenth century when they appear the first written evidence of Spanish Alaunt, on their participation in the toro bravo party.
Its qualities traspasarán Spanish borders, becoming very significant exports, both American continent as countries Europe as France, England or Germany in order to improve their own races, especially the English bulldog and the dogue de Bordeaux. even the international press echoes of its characteristics, as happened in 1873, in the British press, describing carefully to a copy of prey Spanish (Alano), called Bull and reads: “…fighting only subject to his opponent by the head, is silent and immune to pain…”.
At the end of the 19th century or the beginning of the 20th, begins the decline of the alano, motivated by multiple factors:
- Exclusion of hosts, changes in the tradition of the Monteria and grazing, definitive exclusion from the Festival of the bull and custom. This resulted in the gradual replacement of Mastiff other imported breeds, in most of the times, in an unjustified way. Years later, you get even speculate about the possible disappearance of Mastiff, Since his last appearance publishes occurs in Madrid, in the year 1963 (exhibition at the Retiro Park).
- But they have not disappeared, were some population loopholes in certain marginal areas, difficult access, as are certain mountains Cantabria, País Vasco, Burgos and Salamanca. These remnants of the population managed to survive thanks to its functional qualities, as for the farmers and hunters in the area, outside all fashion and with an enviable sense of practicality, there was simply no better animal to those committed to the Spanish Alaunt.
Spanish Alano physical characteristics
Today, and thanks to the excellent work of recovery of some professionals and public bodies, the Spanish Alaunt virtually, remains unchanged, It's a medium dog of prey, strong, Agile and very serious. Specially equipped for the handling of cattle, for hunting and for custody.
Little barking by nature, very resistant to pain and disease, tends to be suspicious and distrustful with strangers and bottom and very affectionate with its owner and family.
Related breeds Spanish Alano
|Alano||Bou||Corso||Canary Islands||Spanish Mastiff||Bullmastiff|
Alano character and skills
The Alano is an animal slow in their development, reaching maturity, physical and mental, over the two years. From that moment you will find a powerful animal, determined and very noble. As it's a dog selected primarily by their willingness to work, There is some variety of "types", Since the lighter Alans, gifted for hunting, until the heavier, suitable for grazing and save (livestock lines or old Bull Dog).
Perhaps in recent times less attention to the latter is being, for the most consistent lines for hunting. Perhaps the lovers of this type of alano (Bull Dog), have to consider its viability as a separate race.
In 1880 "prohibited the fate of"dogs the bull"and that is why Bull rings left keep dogs".
On the other hand, to stop practicing "hunting in the round", becomes otherwise organize the montería so it is no longer interesting for cattle fall clasped by dogs, but to reach the positions where the montero is bet, who is who pays the entertainment. In these circumstances the flocks deshicieran of the Alans who had.
Once a dog was useful whether it performed any task. The Spanish Alaunt "She ceased to have work" after selecting breeds of cattle more docile, so this race back to a dizzying to extinction speed.
Images Spanish Alano
Dogs breeds: Spanish Alaunt
Type and recognitions:
- Molosoides, Bloodhound
- federations: Recognized in 2004 as a breed by the RSCE (Royal Canine society of Spain)
- 1. Spanish Alaunt, Spanish Bulldog, Spanish Alano, Alano (English).
2. Alano espagnol (French).
3. Alano español (German).
4. Alano espanhol, Buldogue espanhol, Alão espanhol (Portuguese).
5. Alano español, Bulldog Español (Spanish).