The Pastor Ganadero Australian (or Stumpy Tail) It is a dog originating in australian. In comparison with other races its history is very well documented, because it is a relatively recent.
At the beginning of the 19th century the livestock industry in Australia had grown to the Plains and on the huge tracts of land. The cattle had become harsh and wild beasts, the Smithfields, until then their dogs of grazing, they already lost control often livestock. These dogs them due to the heat and the distances traveled to move livestock, They also tended to biting and barking lot, knowing pasture sheep and cattle do not, and sometimes with horns, they were injured. This problem existed both in Australia in the United States and while the Americans invented the Cowboys (Cowboys) Australians invented dogs jeans.
In 1830 a cross of Smithfields took place with Dingoes, the primitive dog that lives in Australia and killed the cattle. This, be regarded as a pest at that time, He went on to be the best contribution to this race. It was believed that more coupled climate dogs would result in, to work and quieter. Were dogs of red hair, silent but that mordían more. This breed was unsuccessful and died.
In 1840 another farmer with the same concern but different approach, He imported a couple of Highland Collie of blue hair in Scotland, were dogs that barked much. The offspring of this pair her crossed with the Dingo and obtained a silent working dog already out of blue or red fur.
Other races introduced to this cross: the Dalmatian in order to ensure that dogs also worked with horses and more faithful and reliable for the masters. The black Kelpies or straw-colored, Australian foresee dogs; to reaffirm their skills in the work that had been lost with the cross of Dalmatians. The influence of the Dalmatians believe puppies of white skin at birth and that it changes colour to the three weeks of age of a smooth coat other graying. The Kelpie come from the color trademark straw in the legs, chest and head. The end result was an active dog, Compact, cautiously Dingo, the reliability of a Dalmatian, the skill of a Collie and a Kelpie, and unique in the world fur coloration.
In the early 1890's the Sr. Robert Kaleski became interested in these dogs; as he lover of them and at the same time journalist decided to give to know this race and make it achieved in 1903 the Kennel Club of Wales accepted the first standard of the breed. Strongly believed in the important contribution of blood the Dingo for livestock grazing and eventually introduced dingoes to the crossing to maintain the efficient talonero.
In November of 1988 It was formed in Australian Cattle Dog Club of America in California. The 1 ° of may of 1980 they petitioned the AKC license (American Kennel Club) and the 1 ° of September of that year was granted.
In all these years Australians livestock herders have been gaining ground both at work and in the heart of the masters. They are known with many names or nicknames: “Blueys” (azulitos), “Blue Dogs” (blue dogs), “Heelers” (taloneros), “Queenlad heelers” (taloneros Queens), “Blue heelers” (Blue taloneros), “Red heelers” (Red taloneros) and so are erroneously called “Dingoes”.
Australians livestock herders are a race moderate in all aspects. They must be balanced, symmetric, robust and compact. Judging this race we must seek a harmonious dog.
We often hear: “It must be of large head”; This is fine if the body is in line with the head. The standard of the breed does not require a large head but a head according to the body, or of a heavy bone structure, If disagrees with the rest of the dog.
The Australian farmer Shepherd is a working dog, created strong, Compact, symmetric, with the ability and willingness to carry out its assigned no matter how difficult task will be. Its combination of substance, power, balance sheet and strong muscle condition, leads to great agility, strength and endurance. Both too big and fat dog, as one too small and thin, they would have serious faults. We must see the dog altogether. A large head does not make a good dog, not a very crude bone structure.
Remember: BALANCE SHEET, SYMMETRY AND MODERATION.
As its name says, It's primary function and no one matches, It is the control and management of livestock in open or closed extensions. Always alert, extremely intelligent, lookout, brave and reliable, with a total devotion to duty, making it the ideal dog.
A dog that is gentle in nature, outside of obese condition, will lose points. They are athletes and should always give that appearance.
In appearance it comes to draw the presentation…
- The head It is strong and it must be proportional to the body of the dog, to maintain its overall conformation. The wide skull is slightly curved between ears. The mejilla5 are muscular, Neither crude nor prominent, strong jaw. The lips are clean and tight. !.nose is always black. A gluttony for measuring head is from the tip of the nose, passing between the eyes, stop ear tip; through the skull back through the eye to the tip of the nose; They must be measured an equilateral triangle.
- The eyes: they are oval shaped, medium-sized, Neither prominent nor sunken, they should express State of alert and intelligence, are dark brown in colour.
- The lores: they should be of moderate size, preferable to small to large, broad base and pointed tip, or round as spoon, Neither plicate of bat. Placed separate head inclined outwards. They must be thick, fleshy and covered with weight on the inside. The teeth would be strong, with equal separations, with grip, bite and scissors, the lower incisors just before close and playing at the incisive superiors.
- The neck: is very strong, muscular, It allows you to turn the head to the body, It must not be loose or have hanging skin.
- Front rooms: the forearm should join the shoulder almost in 90%. There is a tendency in the short forearms that does not allow you to the correct length needed. They must be just as the cross to the elbow to elbow on the floor. It must not exceed the width of the chest to the elbows. The creation of exaggeration is a problem in the race.
- Proportions: The dog must be 10% longer than high, many are unfortunately very short and it subtracts them movement and flexibility.
- Hindquarters: strong, widths, muscular. The rather long rump to slant, long thighs, wide and well developed. Seen from the back should be parallel and rights, not very close to each other, not very separate.
- The legs: round, with fingers long and together. Hard bearings, short and strong nails.
- The tail: placed moderately downward, following the contour of the thigh and rump of length until reaching the hocks. When rest with a slight curve. Movement or shaking the tail should be raised. At no time the queue should be beyond a vertical line that part of the root (or coiled). The tail should be abundant fur.
- When it is in movement and walking: the action is real, free, flexible to tireless, and the movement of shoulders and fourth front is unison with the force of the rear. The rapid and unexpected movements ability is elementary. When they trotting legs tend to join the ground as the speed is on the rise.
- Weight and height: The male can be measured in 46 cm to 51 cm., and weigh between 20 and 26 kg. The female can be measured in 43 cm to 48 cm., and weigh between 18 and 23 kg. Here there is almost no problems, because height requirements have been maintained with ease.
- Fur: The hair is soft, with double layer being the shortest denser.; the hair of the longest layer is closed, each hair is, straight and hard, Why which is waterproof. On the hind legs the coat is long where join the thighs. In the head (even within the ears) up to the front of the legs the coat is short. Around the neck, longer and thicker. A very short or very long hair will be a lack. Curly hair in wavy is evident in the very adult females.
- Colors of the mantle:
- Blue: the color can be blue, graying blue, Blue mottled with or without other brands. Allowed in brands are, black, Blue or straw in the head, preferably symmetrical. Paws straw halfway and extending to the front to the chest and throat, and in the jaws. The Undercoat may be straw in the body where it stands not out to the blue upper layer. The black marks on the body are not desirable.
- Red: the color should be very smooth throughout the body, including the bottom layer (either white or cream), with or without red marks on the head. Symmetrical marks are desired. The red marks on the body are permitted but not desired.
There are two main problems in color. The blue dogs tend to black and the second are the Red dogs without freckles. The latter is more than a problem, and one of the reasons why the reds are less dominant than blue.
The ranchers Australian shepherds are very versatile and tireless workers to adapt various activities. They have been used as search and rescue dogs, bombs and drugs detectors, service and of course dogs, livestock grazing.
An Australian farmer Pastor is not the dog ideal to lock him in a courtyard. These dogs require working and living together with people or at least the presence of someone to her around in the absence of their day-to-day work. Isolated in the courtyard of a house in the city the edge to create problems.
Dr. Harvey, Veterinary Australia, It has two of these dogs and also attends many more as patients. The comments: “The main problem that I see and that surpasses much to others, is the behaviour of these animals, everything is due to boredom and lack of exercise. Since they are very good guardians, people leave them in their backyard taking care of the House, completely ignoring their needs for exercise and mental stimulation”.
An Australian farmer Shepherd can live in an apartment or in a ranch of 20 hectares, the problem is not the space; It is the exercise and the time the owner puts into his dog. If no is given a job the dog, the same is going to invent:
Garden design: holes, plants cropped or out of place. Interior design: pull the tapestry of furniture, Chew chairs, dig a way out of the street, spreading garbage around the House, etc.
Another very common problem in the cities is the natural tendency with these dogs to protect your family and your home. Even without training, they defend their territory from outsiders, including the milkman, the postman and anyone who is not familiar
In some rural places of United States commonly used alerts that warn that this place is guarded by Pastor Ganadero Australian, to avoid that strangers come. If there are children running, screaming, any dog grazing naturally want to corner to put them under control; with biting and barking. If their children have guests it is preferable to keep the dog, because it will not allow their masters to be touched, even by game.
Social coexistence with children must be at an early age, dogs are taloneros by nature to instinctively chase other animals, Yet these dogs are very adaptable and can learn to suppress their natural inclinations part. They are a perfect companion for the family and its children. Once you know the dog and controls, their obedience will surprise your guests.
Dr. Harvey also believes about coaching: “The Australian farmer Shepherd is very manageable; as a coach and scholar of the behavior, He catalogued it as the most adaptable dog who had worked with. However these dogs do not respond well to the method in which force them.
After several months of unnecessarily trying to train a female with straps of punishment, correct and other, opt for more motivational methods and the results were excellent. The confidence and enthusiasm can be seen in the position of the tail. A dog with a drop tail, probably this suppressed or bored, a raised tail denotes a dog active and attentive.
Therefore the coaches that without the knowledge of the race, using traditional methods, such as the drawing with the collar of punishment; they invariably consider them fools, irritable and difficult. Coaches using positive methods, they believe that they are very attentive and willing to learn. Kalesky once said: “An Australian farmer Shepherd must remember a typical Dingo, and this is very important if we want to describe the race.
Before you choose the puppy we must stop to think for what they want to this dog, as a pet, as a guard dog, dog of grazing, dog for beauty exhibition, etc. Now let's see how they behave all the puppies in the litter. That see very mordelón that fight all siblings, would serve to guard; the largest and that always sleeps because it is where most ate, It would be fine as a pet or for beauty, the more chiquitos resembling whirlwinds have learned to make an extra effort to obtain their food fought against the elderly, they would be ideal for the job. But there is no written rule the nature of the dogs molded it in a large percentage owners, in this way one very aggressive can be very manso and vice versa. Always take into account the opinion of the breeder.
Faults occur in all races, without them there would be challenges for farmers. It is important to be attentive to the faults to overcome them. The faults are only an obstacle in our attempt to raise the perfect dog. Look at your dog with eyes of critic, see the faults and strive to rectify them. Don't want to pretend that they there is no because there is not a perfect dog.
The loyalty of the Pastor Ganadero Australian will keep you next to his master, more than anything in the world, They must be with the master, accompany you and assist you in everything. The easiest way of making them happy is having them on your side. If you leave the lane, It can be that the dog will bite the heels, But if you are the ideal type to have an Australian, This morderá you heart.
- Otros nombres: Stumpy Tail / Australian Cattle Dog / ACD / Cattle Dog / Blue Heeler / Red Heeler / AustralischerTreibhund / Queensland Heeler / Hall’s Heeler.
- Group 1 / Section 2 – Sennenhund, except Swiss boyeros.
Dogs breeds: Pastor Ganadero Australian