Although its origins are surely much older, the existence of Montenegrin Mountain Hound (Crnogorski planinski gonič) is attested since the beginning of the 19th century.
The race, confined to the border region with Greece, has kept its features intact.
Bred for its ability to work in rocky terrain and scrub, hunt both small and large animals.
There are two varieties: the Montenegrin Mountain Hound and the “Serbian tricolour hound”, that are distinguished mainly by the color of their fur, and both are virtually unknown outside its borders.
In the past, the Montenegrin Mountain Hound has sometimes been called the “Black hound”.
The first standard dates back to 1924 y la F.C.I. officially recognized the breed at its Warsaw meeting on 8 in May of 1969.
Belonging to the ⓘAmerican Rare Breed Association (abbreviated as ARBA)
Physical characteristics “Montenegrin Mountain Hound”
Robust medium-sized hounds, well balanced, calm and good-natured, very attached to their master.
The skull is slightly domed, the muzzle is slightly shorter than the skull, the nose is always black, eyes are dark with a smart expression, the ears are hanging and without folds, their tips are rounded.
The body is muscular and slightly long. The fur-covered tail is saber-shaped. The pelage is dense, short and with abundant undercoat. The coat is black with brown markings over the eyes, on the muzzle and lower legs.
Size: Height to the cross 44 - 54 cm..
Ideal size for males: 49 - 50 cm., ideal size for females: 48 - 49 cm..
Character and skills “Montenegrin Mountain Hound”
The Montenegrin Mountain Hound is bold, smart and calm. They are also particularly agile, resistant and tenacious.
They are balanced dogs, quiet, kind, loving and obedient, which makes them excellent companions.
It is often used to hunt hares and foxes, sometimes deer.
Although its qualities make it a good companion dog, life in the city is not recommended for this hound..
Videos “Montenegrin Mountain Hound”
Specijalka Crnogorski planinski gonic 08.09.2012
Stenci – Crnogorski planinski gonic
Type and recognitions:
- CLASSIFICATION FCI: 279
- Group 6: Scent hounds, and related breeds.
- Section 1: Scent hounds – 1.2: Medium-sized Hounds. With working trial.
- – FCI – Group 6: Scent hounds, and related breeds. – Section 1.2: Medium-sized Hounds. ⓘ
FCI breed standard “Montenegrin Mountain Hound”
|“Montenegrin Mountain Hound” FCI|
1. Montenegrin: (Crnogorski planinski gonič), Black Hound, Yugoslavian Mountain Hound (English).
2. Montenegrin: (Crnogorski planinski gonič), Chien courant yougoslave de montagne, Chien courant noir (French).
3. Montenegrin: (Crnogorski planinski gonič), Montenegrinische Gebirgsbracke, Früher Jugoslawischer Gebirgslaufhund (German).
4. Montenegrin: (Crnogorski planinski gonič), Sabujo-negro (Portuguese).
5. Montenegrin: (Crnogorski planinski gonič), Sabueso montañés de Montenegro (Spanish).